• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 corydoras

corydoras

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,457 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:31 PM

I got this image in an email from my brother-in-law in France. I don't know whereabouts in France he took the photo, only that it is close to La Rochelle. Apparently people go there to feed them so throwing just about anything edible over the side of the bridge into the water results in a carp feeding frenzy.

XqkLQGi.jpg

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

#2 chesters1

chesters1

AN Resident Contrarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,643 posts
  • Interests:fishing,fossils,researching intrepid reels and general being naughty

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:15 PM

No blank days there then
Why are we stripping the seas of krill to feed to cattle when theres lots of oppertunities to breed carp by the million?
The polution must be appalling in the downstream section ,all that poop is going somewhere and not all of it eaten by the smaller carp ,no wonder they taste like crap

Edited by chesters1, 10 May 2018 - 06:19 PM.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness  it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Whitby scallops caught by scottish boats best that money can buy,the nearer the shore they're dredged the better they taste

#3 corydoras

corydoras

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,457 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:25 PM

No blank days there then
Why are we stripping the seas of krill to feed to cattle when theres lots of oppertunities to breed carp by the million?

I shouldn't think one would need some exotic flavoured boilies :fishing:

I don't think those are farmed chesters. He is not too sure where he took them, It was a few years ago but he does remember it was the same day he camped overnight at La Rochelle. He has hunted for it in Google maps but cannot find the place again.

Edited by corydoras, 10 May 2018 - 06:29 PM.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

#4 JV44

JV44

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts
  • Interests:Fishing ,boating and drinking

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:25 PM

Thinking of trying the river Lot in France next year maybe hire a cruiser and travel and fish ,anyone been ?

been asked to price a customers house in the Alps near the Italian border so may try to combine the 2 ,big Catfish and Zander appeal but carp will do if not 

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh:  :icecream:

#5 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,549 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:50 AM

All,

Hundreds and hundred of places like this

feeding-the-carp-at-the.jpg

carp-fish-feeding-frenzy-mouths-open-the

Sometimes they get trapped on top of the pile and die before they can get back in the water.

Phone

#6 Vagabond

Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,057 posts
  • Interests:Angling, Ichthyology

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:42 PM

Can vouch for that Phone - lots of places in USA where a restaurant is by a lake and surplus food gets chucked in  The scenario looks just like that - in Texas there are various catfish in the mix as well.   The source ?      Lots of fat kids being bought far more fries than they can eat - the human race is only just beginning to realise it is a form of child abuse

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .
Certhia's world species - 215
Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato
...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

#7 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,549 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:12 AM

Vagabond,

Referencing the current thread about pigs.  While it may be an unrealistic opinion I've formed one of the differences between the US and Britain  - it seems to me you, the English, eat pig.  We, the Americans, eat LIKE pigs.  I much prefer your cultural eating habits.

Phone

#8 Ken L

Ken L

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,908 posts
  • Interests:Chucking lures, Martial arts and as much travel as possible

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:21 PM

You see much the same thing in temple ponds in Thailand but instead of carp, it's typically Java Barbs (like roach on steroids) with a few walking catfish.
Around the periphery, there are occasionally big swirls where much bigger catfish are having a go at the barbs.

I did once have a sneaky cast at night with chicken for bait and got smashed up - presumably by a big cat of some sort.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima.  Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.
Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.
Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub. 
Species caught in 2014: Striped catfish. Pacu. Giant gourami. Clown knife fish. Rohu. Siamese carp. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Roach. Bream. Perch. Rainbow trout. Chub. Common Carp, Ide. Brown Trout. Barbel. Mekong catfish. Jullien's golden carp. Alligator gar. Java barb.
Species caught in 2013: Mangrove Jack. Barramundi. Blubberlip snapper. Baracouda. Malabar grouper. Yellowfin Trevally. Chub. Brown Trout. Perch. Roach. Pike. European Eel. Bleak.
Species caught in 2012: Northern whiting. Moray eel. Barramundi. Snakehead murrel. Silver razorbelly minnow. Deccan Mahseer. Malabar mystus. Deccan rita. Spotted Malabar Grouper. Mangrove Jack. Indian sea catfish. Brown Trout. Chub. Perch. Roach. Rudd.
Species caught in 2011: Indian sea catfish. Sardine. Barramundi. Mangrove Jack. Deccan Mahseer. Record Humpbacked Mahseer. Yellow Fin Trevelly. Giant Trevelly. Chub. Brown Trout. Perch. Pike. Atlantic salmon. Dace. Minnow. Roach. Gudgeon. 
Species caught in 2010: Barramundi. Giant Trevelly. Moray eel. Indian sea catfish. Mangrove Jack. Deccan Mahseer. Humpback Mahseer. Chub. Brown Trout. Perch. Bass. Pike. 
Species caught in 2009: Chub. Perch. Pike. Pacu. Thai Striped Catfish. 
Species caught in 2008: Barramundi. p-i-k-e-y sea bream. Indian sea catfish. Guitarfish. Mangrove Jack. Mahseer. Squid (Not strictly a fish but it took a lure !). Emperor Sweetlip. Black Spot Snapper. Moray eel. Spangled Emperor. Bluecheek silver grunt. Yellow striped emperor. Vanikoro sweeper. Pike. Perch. Brown trout. Chub. Atlantic salmon.

#9 corydoras

corydoras

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,457 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 11:48 PM

Vagabond,

Referencing the current thread about pigs.  While it may be an unrealistic opinion I've formed one of the differences between the US and Britain  - it seems to me you, the English, eat pig.  We, the Americans, eat LIKE pigs.  I much prefer your cultural eating habits.

Phone

That reminds me of something my son said to one of his first teachers in France. She asked him what his favourite animal was. His response? "Le poulet, Madame".

#10 Vagabond

Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,057 posts
  • Interests:Angling, Ichthyology

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

We, the Americans, eat LIKE pigs.  

LOL    I have just seen an article in the travel supplement of The Times

"Tips on eating abroad:   Eat where the locals eat  (but not in America, or you may never leave McDonalds"

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .
Certhia's world species - 215
Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato
...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...