Shimano Aero

wotnobivvy

Has anyone used this for general fishing. I got some at a good price and want to use it on a mixed fishery, small silvers and carp to mid doubles. Knot strength and memory especially

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

wotnot,

We don't see them much. The name Shimano makes it worth a go I'd think.

As for knot strength and line twist memory. Can't blame the kit for those problems.

Phone

I don't believe that all these big brands actually have their own manufacturing facilities & that there are in fact just a handful of firms, sub contracting for different tackle companies, so a lot of lines will actually be the same stuff but with the addition of the brands bespoke colour, packaging & labeling??

PS - Wife says I'm an Incurable cynic!!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I am sure the whole thing is just based on cheapness with quality second ,some chinese manufacturer will send a few prototypes from next years run to all the brands and all they will do is cough up when its established their logo is on the side if it lasts a year its ok.

We saw the same with intrepid ,gladding rebadging its old crap hoping the british mugs didnt spot it didnt sell back in the states because it was garbage .

The surfcast went from british made mediocre reel to appalling american made surfcast to hong kong crap in 3 years so long as it lasted the warranty period it was ok to do it .

Companies dont need quality they need mugs who think it is because it had quality once long ago ,we can see this in lots of things where old trademarks are reappearing hoping mugs buy it because somewhere in the back of their mind they remember it and remembering it generally gives a good impression

You cannot judge quality on looks or changing it for the next version as soon as it comes out ,give the reel a couple of decades if its still going its quality ! It could look crap but its quality build wise .

I was talking to the chief designer of intrepids (and a few more) quality came second to price i think if johny foreigner could bring out a cheap reel then quality went out the window because you cannot do quality cheap you make cheap or sell fewer high priced reels and go broke ,intrepid went broke selling cheap reels lol

They ofcourse also had the british disease !

Strangely china hasnt got into metal detectors yet (nor many far eastern countries) they are happy to copy western ones but i am sure if the market was big enough they would blow the west apart ,i have had a turkish one its looks outshine its productivity ,and i have a polish (russian wink) one which is quirky in its design but despite their flaws i like my yank one as it does the job ,i used to like my british ones but stopped buying them in the 90's when reboxing mediocre electronics in shiny new boxes became the norm in that case the british disease is very awake! When you send a 30 year old machine back and they cannot faultfind a slight fault you know perfectly well the company is going to seed

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The factories will, however, make it to a spec. If a batch comes in under quality, I bet it doesn't go in the bin!

Yep' Steve - it'll go as the £5 per 1,000 metre bulk spools, good enough for a fortnights holiday's rock & jetty sea fishing though.

A fiver well spent away from 'er indoors for a few hours!!!! :icecream: - 'er Indoors would, no doubt share the sentiment :bangin:

Off now - just heard her coming downstairs!! Ooop's too late. :black_eye:

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

All,

Circa 1992 Five major extruders and spinners. (Never saw it but there was supposed to be a small extruder in England. Which made no sense at all, even at the time.

Segar "line weight" specimen was the most expensive. (It actually had to break at 10lbs if that was the rating).

I haven't kept up even a little bit. I'm sure the two braid manufacturers have probably spread out a bit. Fluorocarbon now has multiple manufacturers but not sure how many extruders there are and mono - well It wouldn't be economically feasible to open factory for just fish line and mono is no longer the "go-to" product in industry it used to be.

Phone

Just got refunded for an order of Daiwa line that failed to turn up so I've ordered a spool of Aero in 5lb to give it a go. It's cheap as chips so it's ideal for rigging whips for the kids to play with and similar applications.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• 2 weeks later...

Not impressed. Very poor knot strength and I lost fish because of it.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.