ledgering for roach in deep, wide river

The Flying Tench

Martin, thanks but I don't quite understand this. Presumably the back lead is a running lead? So for a drop back bite the running lead still needs to be dislodged. What is the advantage over just a heavier feeder? Probably I don't understand the rig.

No mate , the "Back lead" is fixed, a couple of foot above the feeder, it keeps the line on the deck & holds bottom when fishing up stream when using a light feeder.

The fish picks up the bait, dislodging the feeder - panics, so hooking its self thus also then dislodging the back lead which is really there mainly to hold bottom but then becomes the bolt rig when a fish bites.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

You could use this - a Banjo feeder either as the back lead with no bait in it or just as in the vid' as the feeder its self.

The best bit is you can change the size (weight) to suit the flow without breaking down your set up.

They're made of cast metal very compact & heavy for the size/s.

It Doesn't have to be Free Running either (unless you want it to be like in the vid') Can thread a gripper stop above it so another bolt rig then!! I do when it's allowed on some fisheries.

You don't really need the mould, can squeeze bait onto it by hand & have the hookbait swinging free below the feeder as normal.

Have a look, I use these on commies but no reason why not on river. Will easily hold bottom upstream.

Edited by Martin56

Wow! Steve, I must admit if it would work there it should work anywhere! How far upstream did you cast?

You can see part of a tree on the right hand side of the photo - I was aiming for the trunk of that.

All,

Is it true Roach will become extinct with the execution of BREXIT? The roach is a prolific species that is tolerant to poor water quality. When the UK gets "back to normal" roach will not be able to handle the clean rivers and canals. What will you dink fish for after BREXIT? Carp I guess. Do you really think that is possible with a fish that lays a couple hundred thousand eggs a year, eats anything and likes poor water? I'm told - "any roach over two pounds is a hybrid anyway". Sort of like the new UK (Middle Easterners and Englishmen.)

Phone

Going to the garden now

Interesting, Martin, but with a fixed lead isn't there a risk of tethering the fish if the line breaks?

No mate , the "Back lead" is fixed, a couple of foot above the feeder, it keeps the line on the deck & holds bottom when fishing up stream when using a light feeder.

The fish picks up the bait, dislodging the feeder - panics, so hooking its self thus also then dislodging the back lead which is really there mainly to hold bottom but then becomes the bolt rig when a fish bites.

john clarke

Interesting, Martin, but with a fixed lead isn't there a risk of tethering the fish if the line breaks?

Not really mate, if the hook length is lighter than the Main line, but maybe the Dura Banjo feeder is the way to go after all.

Steve, it occurs to me I have another query. Judging from the photo the pull on the rod tip was from upstream, ie you didn't have much of a bow in the line. Did that mean that you were able to clip up? I've found that can be a problem as you need to let line run off the spool if you have a big bow in the line, which is how I have read about upstream feeder.

john clarke

"any roach over two pounds is a hybrid anyway" = Philistine. :uhuh:

Edited by Martin56