Kelly Kettle + idiot = burnt kids

Steve Walker

My Dad did try to join up, however his Mam forbade it!!

When he left school he learned to be a French Polisher, which then went into making Rifle Butts.

She then made him go into the Railway - a Reserved occupation.

She had already lost one son who was killed by a land mine on the Burma road, & another son who survived as a Japanese POW.

Thank God he was Killed & not taken by the Japs like our Jack was her reaction to the News of his death.

I have since been on the war graves commission site & found my Uncle Leslie's resting place - In Burma (now Mayan Mar) or at least the plaque that marks his passing.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

All,

I agree with Steve. specific PSI may well not have crossed the boys minds.

Which brings me to another story. - A Vagabond sort of story albeit brief. Whilst fishing a small stream nestled in the mountains at - 23, 22.5 thousand feet try making a pot of tea or coffee. The ambient air temperature was in the high 30's. The rushing water had to be in the LOW 30's upper 20's. Sometime it would skim over with ice when dipped from the stream. Caution had to be use because it was painful to drink it quickly.

Anyway, those boys would not have had to worry about getting burned those couple days. The coffee was even worse I don't know what that is "technically" called but it is certainly a challenge to get something warm to drink.

Phone

The higher the altitude the lower the air pressure the lower the boiling point of liquids like water.

Put a beaker of water in a bell jar and evacuate it and water will boil at room temperature. That is why one cannot get a decent cup of coffee or hot tea on top of a high mountain.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

The higher the altitude the lower the air pressure the lower the boiling point of liquids like water.

Put a beaker of water in a bell jar and evacuate it and water will boil at room temperature. That is why one cannot get a decent cup of coffee or hot tea on top of a high mountain.

Height also effects how you boil it ,a camping gaz stove was very difficult to use on scafell pike ,with both problems a refreshing cup of tea was neither tea as we know it and certainly not refreshing .

Probably old fashioned pressure stoves would have worked better ?!?

A kelly kettle in this instance would work better than both but theres not so many trees up there! Lots of stones though

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Height also effects how you boil it ,a camping gaz stove was very difficult to use on scafell pike ,with both problems a refreshing cup of tea was neither tea as we know it and certainly not refreshing .

Probably old fashioned pressure stoves would have worked better ?!?

A kelly kettle in this instance would work better than both but theres not so many trees up there! Lots of stones though

That is more to do with the temperature than the hight above sea level.

"Origins of the Myth

The myth got its start back in the early 1970's when canister gas stoves started seeing morewide spread use. The fuel used back then was 100% n-butane. N-butane is a lousy fuel for cold weather. Backpackers at high elevations encountered something that caused their canister gas stoves to work poorly: Cold. And thus the myth was born. The myth is kind of fact based. Kind of. I mean gas stoves were genuinely not working well at high elevation – but the elevation itself was not the problem. The problem was actually the cold, and the problem would have been just as bad or worse at sea level. Thus, a misinterpretation of real events lead to the myth. The real problem was cold, but people wrongly concluded that high elevation was to blame."

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

I still think my school chemistry teacher was wrong - he asked whether you would get the best cup of tea on top of a mountain, at sea level, or down a mine. He said down a mine - because the water would get hotter. How do we know that would make "better" tea? We don't brew it in a pressure cooker!

I still think my school chemistry teacher was wrong - he asked whether you would get the best cup of tea on top of a mountain, at sea level, or down a mine. He said down a mine - because the water would get hotter. How do we know that would make "better" tea? We don't brew it in a pressure cooker!

I'm not sure what he even meant by "better". What's "better" to you might be worse to me.

That is more to do with the temperature than the hight above sea level.

"Origins of the Myth

The myth got its start back in the early 1970's when canister gas stoves started seeing morewide spread use. The fuel used back then was 100% n-butane. N-butane is a lousy fuel for cold weather. Backpackers at high elevations encountered something that caused their canister gas stoves to work poorly: Cold. And thus the myth was born. The myth is kind of fact based. Kind of. I mean gas stoves were genuinely not working well at high elevation but the elevation itself was not the problem. The problem was actually the cold, and the problem would have been just as bad or worse at sea level. Thus, a misinterpretation of real events lead to the myth. The real problem was cold, but people wrongly concluded that high elevation was to blame."

It was simply the gas came out quicker than the air hole was designed to supply the air to make a perfect blue flame the flames actually were not lit at the holes it came out of but hovered about an eight of an inch away making the gas hard to light until you turned the gas to minimum which meant it wasnt hot enough to boil.anyway gas gets very cold anyway as it expands from liquid to gas so perhaps not important until its frosty

Being November temperature didnt come into it

Looking closely at the picture the stove in use looks to have an adjustable air intake so unlike the one i used (a camping gaz one) could have the gas air mix adjusted so the flame worked correctly

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Cory,

While it is of little significance you say, "That is why one cannot get a decent cup of coffee or hot tea on top of a high mountain."

Could you describe a decent cup of coffee or tea? I've spent my entire adult life trying to get just ONE at any altitude. Never liked the stuff.

Phone

Edited by Phone

Steve,

Correct me if I'm wrong, for surely I can be on the topic of coffee. Isn't a espresso/cappuccino coffee making machine a pressure cooker???? My Iranian roommate in college drank some syrupy stuff from a demitasse cup. I believe he is the one who confirmed my dislike for the stuff

Phone