Meat Trial

Martin56

I've a Match tomorrow at Pine Lakes, (Thorne Nr Doncaster) & just had a tin of cheap, bland Plumrose to use for meat.

I've fried it off with Colmans Sausage casserole powder. Have to say it ticks the boxes re smell & texture.

I'll be using it down the edge on pole & on feeder/bomb to Island should I draw the right peg.

Could see this being good for Barbel on the river. Trefor West swears by his Sausage Sizzle flavouring & this seems about the same - except mine's fried!!.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Martin,

Target size? target species? basic lake details?

Phone

Carp up to around 12 Lb (anything above is really a bit big for pole) a basically round lake with an Island maybe a 40 yard cast??

Had a pretty poor day but lost a monster down the edge, maybe a double figure on the meat I prepared above, so very hopeful for the future.

A very hot day today in the 30's, so you may have had to strip down to your thermals lol. (not a pretty sight, or so I've heard! :shutup: )

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Nice one Martin.

Have you tried the Hot-n-Spicey tinned spam that Morrisons have been selling (Its cheap too) the Barbel love it too..

IMG_0176.jpg

Ive just returned from an evening session with my son after a few Carp too (posted in the catch reports post).

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Martin,

Best to you. Assuming no one else is using n-butanol (if it is not banned from the lake) or Capsicum (also know as red pepper or chili pepper).

The best, yes I said BEST, carp bait in water 20 - 21C and no more than a meter or meter and a half deep is as follows:

Number 1 - Shoepeg corn it must be soaked on n-butyric acid overnight. Number 2 - Shoepeg corn it must be soaked in liquid hot sauce overnight.

Now the details. n-Butyric acid is the stuff of rancid butter. The smell will not go away. If you get any on your clothing you will have to throw it away. n.Butyric acid is VERY DANGEROUS from that point of view. If it gets in your car you will not be able to sell it.

Any hotsauce will do. Hot sauce is judged by the scoville ratings. The higher the better but just remember anything over about 500,000 is unbearable if you happen to get it on your biscuit.

As for the "set-up" I have no experience with a pole and you can't tell a Brit anything about his rig. They know it all.

Phone

I was on the river on Sunday.

It had risen by 9cm overnight and was a horrible brown colour - a sure sign that sport killing dam water had been released upstream.

I fished two rods and had Spam on one and raw chicken on the other.

I had more bites and my only fish (a PB eel) on the chicken.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Martin,

"Hot Spam" is heated with the same stuff as is in hot sauce. The principle is sound. There is a problem however. The attractant is extremely powerful and sensitive. If more than one peg is using "hot" it's effectiveness is overwhelmed. Just my guess if 3 or more are using it - it becomes worthless.

Phone