reconmendations please

chesters1

We have for the last 40+ years (wedding present) been using an English made prestige breadknife but sadly it's coming to the end of its life its little saw edges are all but gone

we have over the years picked up in sales the odd Victorinox, Sabatier and the usual supermarket rubbish

we don't want these wavy edge versions like the above they are junk, we need one at a sensible price (sub £30) one with hundreds of edges like the prestige used to have (the modern prestige ones are also wavy edge) that will last 40 years, please

also any locksmiths about?

looking at Euro locks being broken into in under 5 seconds we have upgraded ours to 3-star versions BUT on dismantling one door we found an intriguing extra fitting we cannot find anywhere online and wondered what it was.

It sits around the cylinder (picture could be sourced) bolted to the door and fixed to the cylinder I presume to strengthen it (perhaps to counter lock snapping?) but should it be used with the new cylinder or does it make it even harder to snap? or easier? thanks

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154098103@N05/43134826081/in/dateposted-friend/

theres 2 long bolts from the edge of the door to the bit of metal holding it secure then as you can see two allen headed grub screws holding it to the cylinder ,is this stopping the built in snap off groove in the cylinder workin or making the cylinder even harder to snap?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters1,

As for the lock first. Not enough information. It no doubt has something to do with not being able to use a "bump key". It may have rotating discs rather than pins. Lots of possibilities.

Now the knife. Orblue bread slicing knife $13.00. Only one I know of with a band saw type blade. Of course. YOU could make your own bread slicing bow knife with a wood bow and the "perfect" saw blade (broken band saw blade or perhaps an industrial coping saw blade.)

Phone

Chesters1,

As for the lock first. Not enough information. It no doubt has something to do with not being able to use a "bump key". It may have rotating discs rather than pins. Lots of possibilities.

Now the knife. Orblue bread slicing knife $13.00. Only one I know of with a band saw type blade. Of course. YOU could make your own bread slicing bow knife with a wood bow and the "perfect" saw blade (broken band saw blade or perhaps an industrial coping saw blade.)

Phone

Its definately not to stop bumping it must be anti snapping ,the strange thing is though i cannot find a single picture 'out there' so i can contact the maker ,no clue on the device itself.

As to the knife i cant really see any self respecting woman allow a bit of broken bandsaw blade in her kitchen however well it works lol

Trouble with american things it costs the earth to post them here i think its some hidden anti overseas trade embargo ,theres a great deal of clothes off the peg we fat people could buy from the usa if they were to drop the postage ,one seller offered to post me a 1mm thin 6" rule for £68 ,something we could send over there for a couple of quid! Its as if you hate us because we are so great lol

Ps your knife is the common wavy edge version on the orblue site

We need a clone of this edge ,it works!tried resharpening the edge but no diamond file i have is thin enough not to remove the cutting 'spike'

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154098103@N05/42428585914/in/dateposted-friend/

The wavy edge ones are most probably easier to make but none we have ever found could cut like our old one

Back to the lock like the EU the euro lock is badly designed and extremely widely spread ,it can be opened in under 5 seconds by basically anyone who wants to ,if you have UPVC doors you most probably will have one .

My best advice is to replace it with a more robust version because if its bumped theres no physical signs it was so your insurer wont pay out!

Lock snapping is just as quick but leaves definate signs of entry!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I have a very similar sounding Prestige breadknife, it's probably even older, but not used much nowadays and still works fine. I think you may be looking for what I would call a *bread saw* which has much closer serrations, I have one like that too but have always preferred the Prestige jobby.

Your lock fitting looks like an anti-snap device - I've certainly never seen an escutcheon plate that looks like that.

I think they used to be called 'Bread Saws'.

An electric carving knife will slice, even wholemeal bread, very thinly, but some are better than others.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Its mr bushes frickin bandsaw blade dressed in wood lol

Prestige got back to me they died in 1996 so the new company will not honour the lifetime guarantee yet are happy to use the tradename to flog inferior knives!

Not sure the bandsaw blades could handle what ours has sawed through since 1974!

Edited by chesters1

Chesters1,

I'm ashamed of you. Why must you NOW decide to be politically correct and fashionable.

I agree, not that it matters that much but the Orblue I was looking at had vertical teeth, not wavy.

Count me out on the lock. No clue?

Meet the artisan: knife-maker Ahren-Paul Main from Bury St Edmunds

image.jpg

Phone

I have a very similar sounding Prestige breadknife, it's probably even older, but not used much nowadays and still works fine. I think you may be looking for what I would call a *bread saw* which has much closer serrations, I have one like that too but have always preferred the Prestige jobby.

Your lock fitting looks like an anti-snap device - I've certainly never seen an escutcheon plate that looks like that.

I may have to try to re edge mine ,perhaps a mini diamond cutting disk in a dremel then try to find a triangle diamond file thin enough to edge it ,we have only one thing older in the kitchen and thats the fridge bought very second hand a month or two after lol

Chesters1,

I'm ashamed of you. Why must you NOW decide to be politically correct and fashionable.

I agree, not that it matters that much but the Orblue I was looking at had vertical teeth, not wavy.

Count me out on the lock. No clue?

Meet the artisan: knife-maker Ahren-Paul Main from Bury St Edmunds

image.jpg

Phone

Cannot see a closup picture of the bandsaw in wood knife but it looks like it cuts sideways so limited to cutting slices rather than the multi uses ours did in its time (try cutting a frozen salmon in half with that!) And a t shirt AND a shirt who would trust his wares to last 40 years ,the beard and perhaps hat (indoors??) Is his only saving! Lol

Looks to me like hacksaw blades ? No mention of the source of the steel on the site

I did follow up your advice and go to the orblue site but only spotted wavy edge versions have you a link to a saw edged one?

And rather than fasionable surely by not insisting on the common as muck wavy versions surely its the opposite?

Edited by chesters1