Fake line

Ken L

As some of you may be aware, I'm a huge fan of Berkley Fireline for light lure fishing or throwing lures at night because it's handling characteristics make it very good at avoiding wind knots.

Well, I recently took a punt and ordered some 8lb "Berkley Fireline" from China - AFAIK, Berkley don't make 8lb Fireline!!!!
Well, it's arrived and first impressions are "interesting".
Packaging is predictably Berkley looking but something is very odd!

It seems to be better than the original. It's very smooth and very thin and it performed flawlessly this afternoon.

It'll be interesting to see how it stands up to repeated use.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

There can only be so many mono manufacturer's so it may not be one brand but perhaps an 'over run' of a better one?

I just buy brown stuff (or did i bought bulk spools) i am not a line junky ,most tackle is designed to catch anglers than fish!

Got a box full of free stuff from mags from 20 odd years but brown stuff lasts forever in closed face spools

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters, sorry mate but Berkeley Fireline is actually "Braid" (at least the one I bought years ago was)

That said, It's very probably from the same main supplier like you say!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

As i said i am not a line junky lol

Braid compared to mono probably has many makers as its used in many items ,mono not so many but i remember my mate found a huge spool in the skip behind a carpet retailer ,it broke at many beaking strains between 15 and 500 lb lol

The braid on camera hand straps is good stuff i used it to hold the key to the pond for 15 years and not a sign of fraying

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

All,

I'm now with Chesters1 although I was once an insane line junkie. Time marches on. Here is a blip from the horses mouth: "" Berkley FireLine Fused Original—Recent improvements have made this thermally fused powerhouse stronger, more abrasion resistant, smoother handling and longer casting. Ideal for spinning tackle.

Doesn't look to me as though it is even BRAID.

Phone

Confusingly, Berkley sell both braids and fused lines using the "Fireline" brand and you have to be very careful what you are ordering.

In this case, it's a fused line which handles brilliantly, has all the no stretch advantages of braid and neatly sidesteps a ban on braid imposed by a local angling club.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

It's gel spun polyethylene where the strands are fused not braided into a single line.
I'm reluctant to call it "mono" because the term is synonymous with nylon.
Thus far, shock testing, knot strength and feeling for irregularities on the retrieve all indicate that it's better than the original.

Here you go.

Ken,

I don't believe the stuff in your URL is the "new" stuff. Look at the url in my post - then tell me? I no longer have knowledge or interest in line technology. Ask me something about cotton nylon braids.

Phone