Avoiding micro fish

The Flying Tench

I had a brief session on the Thames last night - a new stretch, so just a recce really. I started by feeding some 'gros gardon' groundbait (it was a cut, narrow enough to ball it in), then tackled up and put 2 maggots on the hook with maggot feeder. Straight away I had two small but reasonable fish, perch and chublet, around 4 oz. But then the micro fish moved in, 2-3" long. Hard to hit the bites, and no more reasonable fish. I switched to corn for 20 minutes, but no bites and went home.

So, I guess the mistake was using maggot feeder in summer? It seemed that the maggot feeder had attracted the micro fish when the groundbait hadn't?

Any theories why that should be? And how so you avoid micro fish in rivers in the summer?

john clarke

Pellets that are too big for the tiddlers. Sow and Weaner pellets worked well in the lakes yesterday.

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Casters are usually a little more selective than maggots. But I think on the Thames in summer, I'd be inclined to feed maggots and fish a big lobworm for the perch!

Casters are usually a little more selective than maggots. But I think on the Thames in summer, I'd be inclined to feed maggots and fish a big lobworm for the perch!

Or keep feeding, and put one of the 'micro' fish on as bait, I've had some good perch and chub, doing this on my local rivers, as well as the occasional nuisance pike. I do use a single hook, no bigger than a size 10, with squashed barb, so it will minimise any effect of a bite off.

The other thing is hemp and tares at this time of year, preferably on the float though.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Yes, I used to do that too. Lip hooked bleak on a sunken float rig. It was possible to get the swim absolutely boiling with small fish, but you certainly knew when the predators had turned up!

Yes, I used to do that too. Lip hooked bleak on a sunken float rig. It was possible to get the swim absolutely boiling with small fish, but you certainly knew when the predators had turned up!

I think I've posted this before, (it's an age thing :wheelchair: ).

A crust held in place by a couple of matchsticks and float rubbers, with a hooked small fish a few inches below. Cast in and the crust is surrounded by small fish, this attracts the pred', usually chub or perch, the small fish scatter leaving your hook bait as the easiest option for the pred'. I believe Dave (Vagabond), used a similar method with a legered fish, and bread on the hook.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John