Galileo

*Ant*

Sportsman,

I would expect my money back - that's what I'd expect.

There is a doctrine of reasonable expectation. whenever there is an ambiguity, it is resolved in favor of the payor's reasonable expectations. In this case that would be the UK. Usually an ambiguity arises when there are plausible, competing interpretations. Now all that needs to be done is to define "plausible". The EU accepted the UK's intentions - not the other way around

Phone

• 2 weeks later...

The EU will still enjoy the protection afforded by our UK based Nuclear Submarine capability via the Astute, Successor & in 2020, the Dreadnought class Subs.

Awesome bits of kit these!!

Make no mistake - we're more than ready for ANY kind of conflict, close to our shores or otherwise. (Little Terrorist cells apart currently making headlines outside the bigger picture!!)

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Martin

Who are these "awesome bits of kit" supposed to defend you from?

Successive Prime Ministers have said that they would only ever be launched as retaliation for an attack that was taking place, so if you look at a list of countries that have nuclear capability, who do you think is likely to launch an attack? There is only one that I can see and that is Russia and as Russian oligarchs now own large parts of London they are unlikely to attack their own property.

BTW, I do understand about MAD and the deterrent effect. That means that if the missiles were ever launched, we have already lost.

Meanwhile a much more serious threat is the idea of a terrorist group building a suitcase bomb or dirty bomb and attacking any big city. How will your subs cope with that?. It would have been a much better idea to have spent the billions that have been wasted on these white elephants on beefing up intelligence to counteract the genuine terrorist threat.

Lastly, the EU already has access to a nuclear defence, in France.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Sportsman - please re- read the bit about "Little Terrorist Cells Apart"

Martin

Who are these "awesome bits of kit" supposed to defend you from?

Successive Prime Ministers have said that they would only ever be launched as retaliation for an attack that was taking place, so if you look at a list of countries that have nuclear capability, who do you think is likely to launch an attack? There is only one that I can see and that is Russia and as Russian oligarchs now own large parts of London they are unlikely to attack their own property.

BTW, I do understand about MAD and the deterrent effect. That means that if the missiles were ever launched, we have already lost.

Meanwhile a much more serious threat is the idea of a terrorist group building a suitcase bomb or dirty bomb and attacking any big city. How will your subs cope with that?. It would have been a much better idea to have spent the billions that have been wasted on these white elephants on beefing up intelligence to counteract the genuine terrorist threat.

Lastly, the EU already has access to a nuclear defence, in France.

MI5 & MI6, + SAS etc can & do deal with these all day long - well most of the time we don't actually see!!!

What does a Terrorist Look Like?? well they look very much look like us!!

Why is Putin scared - Because he's really no idea where our Subs are, they might as well be on his decking!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Martin

Do you really believe that Putin would launch a nuclear attack on the UK if it wasn't for the subs?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• 2 weeks later...

Sportsman,

I hardly doubt your question has any value. But should it occur - yes - I suspect every aspect of a possible defense would be of interest to anyone with first strike intentions.

However, far more important is that these devices are equally intended to protect the environment that promotes mutual respect and cohesion among adversaries. That has always been the case whether you are using the newest trebuchet for throwing rocks at each other or a submarine for throwing nuclear "rocks" at each other.

Phone