Frustration

gozzer

Well done John. The catch is less important than "Being There" Yes, everything now takes longer, I need glasses to thread hooks and tie knots now, and the developing tremor in my right arm doesn't help either, but I did get out after perch this last week, only small perch caught, and the one three-pounder was an eel. A very considerate eel though, no slime on clothes nor tackle (I beached it) and once on dry land it obligingly shed the hook - bundled it into a plastic shopping bag for weighing and return _ I wish all eels were as co-operative

I am having to give up the more energetic styles of angling, where scrambling is involved - rock fishing and rough stream trout in wild places have gone, as have sea trips (legs wont hold me upright in anything over Force 4) but that still leaves plenty to go at - even fly fishing is possible in ten minute bursts with a rest in between - I take a folding chair.

Keep at it mate !

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Well done John. The catch is less important than "Being There" Yes, everything now takes longer, I need glasses to thread hooks and tie knots now, and the developing tremor in my right arm doesn't help either, but I did get out after perch this last week, only small perch caught, and the one three-pounder was an eel. A very considerate eel though, no slime on clothes nor tackle (I beached it) and once on dry land it obligingly shed the hook - bundled it into a plastic shopping bag for weighing and return _ I wish all eels were as co-operative

I am having to give up the more energetic styles of angling, where scrambling is involved - rock fishing and rough stream trout in wild places have gone, as have sea trips (legs wont hold me upright in anything over Force 4) but that still leaves plenty to go at - even fly fishing is possible in ten minute bursts with a rest in between - I take a folding chair.

Keep at it mate !

Cheers Dave,

My second outing on the Thursday, went much smoother. I knew where to get tickets, then straight down to the river, and I tackled up much quicker. I chose a swim a little higher up this time, and tackled up with fixed spool and waggler, maggot still the bait. The sandbank in this swim was less pronounced, being closer in, and only about a foot shallower. It took a while to get the swim going with feeding little and often, but the dace to minnow ration was much better. I was still getting those very quick, sail away bites that I couldn't possibly miss, but I did! Often there was little noticeable damage to the maggot. I'd heard about crays being a problem higher up the river, so I put a maggot feeder out with 3 maggots on, to see what happened, nothing did, not even a nipped maggot. Back to the float and, played with the shotting. I eventually hit three of these bites on the trot, and brought in three of the smallest roach I've ever caught. That bodes well for the future. I finished the day with about 5 dozen dace up to 4/5oz, 3 tommies, and 2 proper roach again also 4/5 oz. Oh and only a couple of dozen minnows, and assorted mini roach and dace.

One thing I had noticed was the water temp, it was very cold. I thought at first that they had let water out of a reservoir upstream, but with the drought we've had, I doubt it.

It was a much better day, with things running much smoother, from how I performed, the number of fish, and the lack of 'mishaps' that drove me mad on the previous day. I'm going again either Wednesday or Thursday this week, to see if I perform any better, and maybe get something a bit bigger, not that it matters to a 'dink' angler like me, eh Phone? :fishing:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

gozzer,

Congratulations, sounds like a fine two day total would have amounted to a nice carp. Some guys are just harder to "train" than others. Dink fishermen have their place as long as they don't occupy the "good swims".

Well done my internet friend. Wasn't it someone "famous" who said. "it's not the destination, but the journey we seek".

Phone

gozzer,

Congratulations, sounds like a fine two day total would have amounted to a nice carp. Some guys are just harder to "train" than others. Dink fishermen have their place as long as they don't occupy the "good swims".

Well done my internet friend. Wasn't it someone "famous" who said. "it's not the destination, but the journey we seek".

Phone

Thanks Phone

I know I'm not famous, but at the beginning of the week I said, "It's not the destination, but the day ticket to fish there I seek". :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Well,I went back to Wetherby last Thursday, it was a strange day. The river was up about 6ins, carrying some colour, and there was more flow. Perfect conditions I thought, which was confirmed by the president of the local club, the trouble was, nobody told the fish. I started getting Tommie Ruffe, from the off, big ones, that when first hooked, I thought were perch. I ended up with a couple of dozen of them, to complement a couple of dace, and roach around 4/5oz. I bumped a couple of decent fish and the swim went quiet. I went on the maggot feeder, and got some very timid bites, hardly moving the quiver tip. After missing a few, I struck into a fish that took off at a rate of knots, I played it back to the net, and as I was bringing it to the surface, everything went slack. The hook length had snapped, which left me wondering if it was a decent chub, that had swallowed the hook, and the throat teeth had weekend the hook length. I went back out on the feeder, and nothing, I then tried cheese and bread, and just had one knock on cheese. but that was it.

Some of the best parts of the day was the sighting of three kingfishers, all at the same time, a pair of heron that fished a couple of swims down from me, and the resident kites circling above me, most of the day.

It was a good day to be by the water.

I'm up in Cumbria all this week, so won't be fishing. We're just waiting for what's become our annual 'hurricane' to strike later this week.

John.

To be honest, John, on the line issue, I'd embrace the change. Some of the new lines are really excellent. That 2.1lb Perlon appears to have a diameter of .14mm. If you buy Preston Powerline, the .13mm has a stated BS of 4lb12oz.

• Like 1

To be honest, John, on the line issue, I'd embrace the change. Some of the new lines are really excellent. That 2.1lb Perlon appears to have a diameter of .14mm. If you buy Preston Powerline, the .13mm has a stated BS of 4lb12oz.

I've been looking at different lines Steve, and preston lines have been some of those I've been impressed with. The Powerline seems to be recommended for hook lengths, and the Power Max for reel line.

With it being my 'come back' I tried to stick with what I knew, even then I couldn't find the bayer in the bs I wanted, so ended up with a Drennan reel line for the stick float.

John

• Like 1

Blimey i see the frustration i buy line thats brown in big spools i am sure fish dont appreciate microns of an inch or makers names.

Still using brown from the 1980's the fish dont mind i am sure

Next you will be judging hooks ! Pointy ones work best they come in boxes of 100 also from the 80's ,the fish dont appreciate gapes or eyes or names only that they are pointy and stop them going about their business for a while.

Unfortunately fishing has become so anal even the makers of your bootlaces get a mention ,just go fishing!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

CHESTERS1, Chesters1, chesters1,

This is no time to be logical and practical. As the AN Resident Contrarian you have certain responsibilities. How do you think I feel when I have to agree with you.

However, in the past, I've had fishing buddies that found a certain satisfaction in eliminating many of the excuses I use for not catching on a given day. Some would even keep small tablets with ever sort of miniscule detail. "Barometric pressure today was rising blah blah) or "wind was from the SW with about a 25% cloud cover". I remember one occasion, when he didn't catch, the comment eluded to "Phone being in the next swim and not paying attention - - - ".

It's just part of the game I guess. Any idea why you and I go fishing?

Phone