Throwaway Reel for Hol's.

Martin56

I'm off to wet a line in Croatia soon, & bought this from my local tackle shop for just £9.99.

Not too badly made for a Tenner - Including Line which looks about 12 Lb. Runs smooth with no detectable backlash & rear drag works well (for now anyway)

I'll be taking a couple of better reels as well, but can chuck this in bin assuming it sees out the week (reckon it will)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Sert+aka+301rd+fishing+reel&rlz=1C1CHWA_enGB610GB610&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=v-5ZTMbEIpAD9M%253A%252CRoI0bSAofycs4M%252C_&usg=AI4_-kSakyQLbXWtR6V8AQLI3GfcTmgZTA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjl-Kq4rPDdAhWEasAKHW4EAr4Q9QEwAnoECAUQBA#imgrc=v-5ZTMbEIpAD9M:

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Martin,

Looks to be well framed. Take a dime size sewing machine oil and keep her greased up and she'll last long enough to give to a kid on the dock.

In - ohh - I guess it was the late 70's I took long holidays fishing. To the East of me KHV - to the West of me Whirling disease and to the North Zebra Mussels. For 2 or 3 years I fished with 6ft rods and spincast reels (Zebco Combos). They were $25 - 30 depending on location. I never brought one home. I left them with regional locals after a week or so of fishing, usually children.

Phone

Oil based products aint good for oil based products so keep your oil to the bearings only ,ptfe is ok in moderation as is silicone grease ,real grease and oil ok on metal bodies and parts

I once put low melting point grease on plastic wheels they turned to jelly in 3 months ,graphite is plastic!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters1,

In all likelihood that reel does not have a single bearing. You could spend more on a proper lube than the cost of the reel. I didn't look. I thought it looked like a polished pot metal casting and of course some sort of plastic guts.

Phone

It does actually have one ball bearing (which is like jewels in a watch, so not 17 jewels then) & is a quality reel which conforms to it's requirements.

Chesters1,

In all likelihood that reel does not have a single bearing. You could spend more on a proper lube than the cost of the reel. I didn't look. I thought it looked like a polished pot metal casting and of course some sort of plastic guts.

Phone

A Reliant Robin is also a quality car - which conforms to its requirements - as is a Rolls Royce!!

The definition of "Quality" is conformance to requirements - regardless of price!!

ie, the reel will do a Job that's expected for a Tenner :icecream:

Edited by Martin56

It amuses me ball bearing in plastic unless the bearings have knobbly bits you cannot force them in as tight as metal reels .

I had one cheapy a storm sea reel (actually not a bad reel for the price) whose bearing locked onto the metal handle and rotated in the plastic .

I cleaned the plastic scored it and the bearing outer and araldited it back in ,still in my box .

Unfortunately plastic heats up quicker than metal so a tight fit impossible

In the 50's the miracle material was nylon "self lubricating" was the boast ,yes it did but the nylon dried out and crumbled because of it ,i have a lovely crak? 400? Closed face in the loft whose nylon parts have long since turned to dust ,had they been metal they would have been fine.

Theres lots of clever marketing for what is really cheap plastic ,graphite is just carbon dust in plastic as was fiberglass dust used in the seastreak,carbon rods are just carbon threads in plastic ,best of all would be spider silk its far stronger and would make a fine rod if it could be done cheaply ,"resin" seems to be the in word to make plastic seem expensive but its still plastic and should be priced as plastic

Quality is also a misnomer ,the hardy altex reals were "quality" but spares rarely fitted and the reels themselves not that good ,i used to blame my knots and cut line on cheap tackle as a kid but 20 years ago i had an outing with an altex and taperflash rod ,two hours later i was back home with nots ,frayed line and tangles ,quaulity is in the mind sometimes to fool the purse

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Martin,

Looks to be well framed. Take a dime size sewing machine oil and keep her greased up and she'll last long enough to give to a kid on the dock.

In - ohh - I guess it was the late 70's I took long holidays fishing. To the East of me KHV - to the West of me Whirling disease and to the North Zebra Mussels. For 2 or 3 years I fished with 6ft rods and spincast reels (Zebco Combos). They were $25 - 30 depending on location. I never brought one home. I left them with regional locals after a week or so of fishing, usually children.

Phone

Yep' phone - I've also given away loads of holiday tackle away to kids & Hotel bar & garden staff etc.

I've just bought a fixed spool sized 3500, with 'baitrunner' facility, 4 bearings, and a spare aluminium spool, £6. A guy runs a table top sale with second hand fishing tackle every Saturday, in the cellar of a local furniture shop. It's not a well known make, Crivit, and I believe sold in Lidl for about 15-20 quid. It looks well made, and solid, runs as smooth as silk, with a double drag system, and a 5:1 retrieve ratio. I've got a few things from him. I've given up looking for tackle that will last me 20 years, because I can't guarantee that I will.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I've just bought a fixed spool sized 3500, with 'baitrunner' facility, 4 bearings, and a spare aluminium spool, £6. A guy runs a table top sale with second hand fishing tackle every Saturday, in the cellar of a local furniture shop. It's not a well known make, Crivit, and I believe sold in Lidl for about 15-20 quid. It looks well made, and solid, runs as smooth as silk, with a double drag system, and a 5:1 retrieve ratio. I've got a few things from him. I've given up looking for tackle that will last me 20 years, because I can't guarantee that I will.

John.

Hi John, please PM me re that - would that be somewhere on Hunslet road??

I'm off on hol for a week tom'.