dink fishing

Phone

All,

I have crossed over to the dark side. I have a park with a small lake jammed with "bluegill" the largest of which is about 4 -6 ozs. More importantly I have a new mate who will be joining me. From the car park to the bank is about 30 steps. It has everything a fisherman really needs, snags, grass, tight banks, old fishing line - you know - the necessities for a good time. Even has a portable another 45 steps. Hopefully far enough to avoid the smell of nature in the summer months.

Below is the kit minus the terminal tackle. I will be looking for "aids" in handling such tiny hooks, line, weight, and yes floats. I have about 100 quill floats porcupine and goose (maybe)I will resurrect from a storage box. For the life of me I cannot remember the first thing about how to use them. I don't think they have a eyelet (raw). They are painted and lightly weighted as I remember(???) Two or three different lengths up to 18 inches or so (the length of the box)

The line is 1 kg (?). The reel is also called a "triggerspin" in the US. We have few naturals for bait so I will be predominately be using flys and tiny tiny artificals. Glad to be back on the bank.

Phone

Zebco 33 Micro Triggerspin Gold Ultra Light Spincast Combo (2-Piece), 5-Feet
by Zebco

List Price: $39.99 Price: $37.98 & FREE Shipping.Details You Save: $2.01 (5%)
Edited by Phone

18 frickin inches thats a carbon rod nowadays !

Not sure a 5ft rod and spincast reel will fling a gram or so of tackle 30" never mind 30ft ,i use a 14ft rod and abu 506 or 1044 ,i can flick my tackle (ooer mrs) further than any carbon rod i have seen down the pond underhand!

Most use poles and they range from 10mtrs up to more (not used one since the 70's) as the tackle is so light casting it results in tangles its so fine and light .

My neice goes out with some drennen guy i am sure he would give personal lessons if you stumped up a holiday for them lol

I still use floats the old fashioned way the line through the ring and a small rubber band holding the line to the top but my typical float is 4" for maggots or 5-6" for bread and so finely balanced a damsel fly landing on the float sinks it and if the tiny pinch of bread falls off it rises.

No tench out there left? Thats a fine dink to catch

Long rods or poles help a lot you can pick up far more line to strike than a short rod

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters1,

I believe the longer porcupine, in fact I know, are raw. No nothing but natural. I will have to learn how to make a float out of them again, that is , if I ever knew in the first place. There are some "others", bird feather quills I believe and they are made up. I also found some "sticks" with small bulbs on the bottom. They look to be very expensive at one time or another. They vary in length up to maybe 8 in. and weight only a quarter oz at most as well as slight variance in bulb size. and shape Maybe even hand made??

I'm gonna just take a WAG and say I'd bet you've never fished with a 5ft factory made combo for dinks. Surely they have some use for they sell 15 million of them a year. BTW they are fiberglass. I'll soon be able to let you know from personal experience, this weekend if weather permits. I don't intend to get so serious as to try to "balance" float and bait. 'ell, all I'm gonna do is catch a few dinks.

I'll listen to your help on end tackle but I'll be sadly disappointed if I can't gently cast a a gram 20 yards. Do you use tiny barrel swivels? I'd like to make up a few "go to" setups and have them handy when needed. I am pretty sure I will have trouble tying that tiny stuff up bankside.

Don't forget, for I will continue to remind you, we are a blessed nation. We have fish enough. These little critters are like the minnows Gozzer was talking about with just an extra hint of spunk to them.

Phone

PS: Keep them English kids at home. Next they would want to immigrate. (ha)

Porcupine quills you can just paint the top and attach them with a bit of silicone tubing top and bottom. Or whip an eye on the bottom. Same for bird feather quills. The other floats you describe sound like bodied wagglers, but could be some enormous USonian bobber ;)

Porcupine quills you can just paint the top and attach them with a bit of silicone tubing top and bottom. Or whip an eye on the bottom. Same for bird feather quills. The other floats you describe sound like bodied wagglers, but could be some enormous USonian bobber ;)

It's a pity you can't buy new porcupine quill floats these days, banned by the tree-huggers :(

Managed to buy a good selection from a very nice chap on here (no name given), takes me right back to my yoof :fishing1:

• Like 1

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Really? I just assumed they had gone out of fashion.

You can buy them on Amazon in the uk;

American Porcupine Bag of Quills (approx. 30 quills) (Natural Bone) by Skulls Unlimited International https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HDXZKEW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Np8VBb28NWW4K

Here's a couple of links to educate you about 'proper' fishing phone.

https://www.anglingtimes.co.uk/advice/tactics/articles/How-to-fish-the-waggler/

https://www.fishingmagic.com/avon-float-trotting-rig/

Porcupine floats are ok as long as you shot them right, if not you will end up with a load of tangles.

As Steve said you can fish them attached top and bottom with rubbers, or attach an eye and fish them waggler style.

You will probably have to invest in some split shot to help cock the floats properly, and help to present the bait properly.

Good Luck,

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

What I meant to say was, AFAIK you cannot import porcy quills into the UK anymore (without a permit?). Buying and selling quills that are already in the UK is fine though.

• Like 1

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Do we have vast flocks of porcupines to get quills from?

Goose quills maybe self sustaining all the time christmas exis

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

All,

Thanks for the help thus far - Don't give up. You'll see my needs in the last two paragraphs. What the 'ell?

“Bulk shot should always be locked around the base of the float with one shot above, and all the others below it, to help it fly straight and avoid tangles.” (wagglers are always a “fixed” depth?)

“Always try to fish with a slightly heavier waggler.” (How will I know if I decide to use fancy quills?)

“Always attach your waggler to your reel line via a float adaptor”. (no clue about “float adaptors”?)

“Always fish with a lighter hooklength than your mainline.” (ridiculous, my mainline is 1kg)

“In calm conditions, always ‘dot’ the float tip down so that only 1cm (less than half an inch) of sight tip shows. This way, you’ll spot really shy bites.” (Pleeeeze !! – how about 3 colors down to about 3cm?)

“Carry a tiny bottle of undiluted Fairy washing up liquid.” (NOPE, Nope, nope) – may put on a “different” type line for future sessions. [suggestions?]. IMO this is way to fiddly.))

Ha ha ha – I’ll tell on myself. I have always, well the few times I’ve tried, used the bulb floats UPSIDE DOWN. I thought the “stick part” stood up in front of god and everybody and the “bulb” was to be submerged by weights. Some of these floats only have about 2cm or less above or in my case below the bulb (ha ha ha)

Gozzer, First article helpful – second not so much. Need a good “how to” visual for - float to hooklength and “manufacturing” floats from these quills. (I’m sort of intrigued by the quills)

Phone

(I get the part about "shotting"