council craziness

chesters1

This afternoon we will be having a visit from an electrician ,nothing strange there you say BUT its yet again a new contractor for the council .

The chap will spend 2? Hours 'inspecting' our wiring and fittings and if they need work arranging a time directly with the tennent.

This is ludicrously wastefull ofcourse " faults" will be found just as they have twice in the last 18 years when the house was completely rewired TWICE.

Its just the useless council showing an open wallet to a company ,i can see why councils have no money its bloody thrown away to contractors who make up their own contracts for work AND to date no council official has ever pre inspected to see if it really needs doing!

We will see how enthusiastic they will be to put up that god awful plastic conduit on my intrepid collection wall ,i am not fricken taking it down ,the last two companies decided to use the 'illegal' (poppycock) metal conduit in the wall that already exists

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters1,

Nothing new there. We call it the fox watching the chicken coop. Are you sure the contractor doesn't get a brown envelope like the council and then hire yet another "independent" contractor? That's called "transparency" over here. Wouldn't want any bias you know.

Phone

All went very quickly the guy said compaired to other council properties we had more sockets than most our size i said we needed 4 times that its the 21st century you know.

Not a lot of brainwork needed he just plugged a machine here and there and noted the reading ,once he noted the fifteen or so cables running into the roof were data or low voltage he buggered off.

We will see what happens but i ain taking down any shelves for that hidden socket!

He said we need a cooker socket installed i said there was one fitted 3 years ago its in a drawer in the shed and said any other that appear will join it (theres only one place in the kitchen it can go and the fridge goes there!

He then said he had a five hour wait until the next appointment not exactly overworked then!

Coming home from detecting a landrover with a digger on a trailer and another with a huge roll of cable pulled up opposite the house,i exchanged pleasentries and noticed a large BT on the cables lable ,ooh i said fibres coming and the chap said it was going to run along a large hedge replacing the existing one that was broken last year by a tree falling over.

Look out for the sewer i said as i walked off ,sewer what sewer the chap said ,i pointed to the direction of a manhole by the hedge and told him the main sewer ran along the hedgeline ,

Looks like they werent told about it ,he was on the phone (amazing he got a signal) for ten minutes then he his mate the digger and cable disappeared lol

Talking of councils the village one is having a "consultation' (mandatory to have one but the results cn be ignored if they go against the thing its about) they must think we are village idiots ,they are pretending they are asking us if we need more housing in the villge ,if so where it should be and what sized dwellings it should be ,then a page of questions as if everyone asked wanted to move within the village (trick questions they can use to bolster their agenda) trouble is its already been decided some years go ,not only the place but the amount of sized dwellings to go on it,the cable earlier i suspect it to provide telephone cables ,earlier in the year a new branch was made in the electricity cable (the direction of the new join a dead givaway showing progress is in the pipeline)

Why people get this power amazes me they have no control over housing thats down to surrey cc and even they can be overuled by government so why waste money pretending A they can and B they have any interest in what the public says

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 2 weeks later...

Update ,now we have to have an asbestos surver before the inspection!

I phoned the number left on the answer machine !

It turns out the number isnt to the electical contractor (who did the survey on the 19th) but the asbestos checker directly.

I told them the inspection has been done ,what inspection they asked ,the one already done but wasnt mention in the message just the fact its an electrical inspection and that this survey needs doing prior to it

Does it grow back i asked ,pause at the other end ..,....what? They asked ,does it grow back as we have had 3 in the last 10 years !

No they said but the council asked us to do it! I told them its been done 3 times ,dont know they said we have been told to do one.

So more council waste ,mrs sitting reading the last report showing NO asbestos exists in this house and the 2 earlier ones only found marley tiles that were removed when the kitchen and bathroom were modernised !

As to the phone call even they dont know what their own people are doing either that its just another sub contractors bill put on their one for doing nothing but look around a house ,probably the asbestos company is a sub contractor aswell making a nice living off the council

Well, we're heading towards the end of the financial year (ends March 31st), so it's around this time that councils have to think about getting rid of excess money in their coffers, otherwise they'll be capped for the next financial year. Time for all sorts of money-wasting schemes to be put into action.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Well, we're heading towards the end of the financial year (ends March 31st), so it's around this time that councils have to think about getting rid of excess money in their coffers, otherwise they'll be capped for the next financial year. Time for all sorts of money-wasting schemes to be put into action.

A better idea IMHO would be to drop the business rates and get rid of some there.

I was talking to the chap that run the Creel in Aldershot (very old fishing tackle shop that closed this year) that some of the foreinged owned businesses around him have found a loophole in the rules ,every few months they close then set back up in another of the foreigned owned shops as a new business .

This (according to him so hearsay here) gets them a startup period of low rates but more deviously as its a new business under another owner all the debts vanish

I thought i was going senile insisting the barbers (for example) was two down on the left last time we visited but now its opposite lol

Its not all foreign naughtyness its down to council officials turning a blind eye or more likely never setting foot in aldershot ,perhaps more money could be saved sacking council officials and getting ones that work for a living!

Talking of foreigners i emailed one of the landowners asking if they knew a certain shower were putting a trench through her field ,she emailed back they were talking about it but nothing has been decided and nothing signed and thanks her solicitor would contact theirs and have it stopped!

Two days later the trench now is complete and the pipe going through it being prepared so johny foreigner aint following the rules either ,in their case its not new years ago they bulldosed a horse shelter and built 'changing rooms' on part of it ,trouble was it wasnt their land .they demolished one end on the land owners land rebuilt the shelter and enlaged the changing rooms by the amount demolished at the other .,They seem to do as they please in this country and she has emailed me back her solicitor talked to their solicitor and it was agreed work will stop until its finalised ,so much for their solicitors aswell i bet tomorrow the pipe will be in place

Edited by chesters1

Every Local Authority should buy a new floating bridge! Quick way to lose six million quid! It’s not his fault apparently, when the Marine Architect visited it was high tide and nobody told him the water goes away now and again!

• Like 1

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Every Local Authority should buy a new floating bridge! Quick way to lose six million quid! It’s not his fault apparently, when the Marine Architect visited it was high tide and nobody told him the water goes away now and again!

Trips to the Races & "Team Building Curry Nights" (Free Bus Included for both) are also quite popular - according to my workmate's, council working wife!!

Nice work - if one can get it!!

Clearly from money saved out of now fortnightly Bin emptying. (was weekly)

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Floating bridge? Lost me there. Guessing it's a news item I've missed.... :huh:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.