14 replies to this topic

#1 Bobj

Bobj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, fossicking and photography

Posted 18 November 2018 - 03:18 AM

In Australia there is a term, no run, no fun, meaning big tides fish better.My area has.6.4 metre tides during the full moon period. However, the last 5 full moon periods have produced 4 fish and 9 bites...3 days ago, we had the start of the first quarter moon phase where the tides were1.5 metres between high and low. Consequently, I landed 5 Spanish and 3 spotty mackerel and a couple of small reefies. Next day, was the same, but better quality Macks and a thumper grassy sweetlip.
So much for bigger tides, better action...

Cheers, Bobj.

#2 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,227 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:30 PM

Bobj

Sound like you nailed a neap tide. During each lunar month, there are two spring tides and two neap tides.  Since you are down under I'm not sure but what it wasn't a spring tide??

I can't understand why your tide would be 5m low.  I know strong winds can reduce tide but I think it would take a typhoon to push 5 meters??  Are you comparing apples with apples in your post?

Phone

#3 Bobj

Bobj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:52 PM

Our tides were heaps, Phone. The tide fall was only 1.5 metres, ergo no run, but lots of fun!
Interestingly, all the big sea barramundi I have caught, were on the first quarter moon phase during the summer months.

Cheers, Bobj.

#4 chesters1

chesters1

AN Resident Contrarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,799 posts
  • Interests:fishing,fossils,researching intrepid reels and general being naughty

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:02 PM

We always fished stokes bay ,it was confusing to all

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness  it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

#5 Huge_Vitae

Huge_Vitae

• Anglers' Net Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Boats, Fishing from Boats, Boat Fishing, More Fishing.

Posted 02 December 2018 - 03:39 PM

Sooooo many different rhymes on fishing around here and soooooo many old wives tales.

When the winds in the east the fish bite the least etc

When I was a kid I bought my first boat, a 10 foot pram dingy, kept it at Cement Mills which is about a four mile row to the Solent, couldnt afford petrol let alone an outboard.

I was told the best time to fish was an hour before high tide until an hour after. I spent many a summer day through many a year rowing up the river when the tide was coming in and rowing against the outgoing tide to get home.

I will never know if it improved my catch but by the time I was a teenager I had huge shoulders and biceps That still serve me well to this day.

Edited by Huge_Vitae, 02 December 2018 - 03:40 PM.

Want to buy a berleybomb? email sales( remove brackets@)berleybomb.com

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

#6 Bobj

Bobj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:44 PM

Fished the full moon period for 3 little reef fish, on 5 metre tides then on the last quarter and had a great time flicking out metal slices for 6 good mackerel, one queen fish and a wolf herring.these were 4 metre tides.
As you said, huge, an hour either side of the top or bottom tides is more productive.

Cheers, Bobj.

#7 Ken L

Ken L

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,989 posts
  • Interests:Chucking lures, Martial arts and as much travel as possible

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:01 PM

Most of my barra success has been at the half moon stage. Moonlight is good but too much tide run makes fishing almost impossible and very dangerous - although we have had some success with a total change of tactics

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.
Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima.  Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.
Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.
Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub. 
Species caught in 2014: Striped catfish. Pacu. Giant gourami. Clown knife fish. Rohu. Siamese carp. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Roach. Bream. Perch. Rainbow trout. Chub. Common Carp, Ide. Brown Trout. Barbel. Mekong catfish. Jullien's golden carp. Alligator gar. Java barb.
Species caught in 2013: Mangrove Jack. Barramundi. Blubberlip snapper. Baracouda. Malabar grouper. Yellowfin Trevally. Chub. Brown Trout. Perch. Roach. Pike. European Eel. Bleak.
Species caught in 2012: Northern whiting. Moray eel. Barramundi. Snakehead murrel. Silver razorbelly minnow. Deccan Mahseer. Malabar mystus. Deccan rita. Spotted Malabar Grouper. Mangrove Jack. Indian sea catfish. Brown Trout. Chub. Perch. Roach. Rudd.
Species caught in 2011: Indian sea catfish. Sardine. Barramundi. Mangrove Jack. Deccan Mahseer. Record Humpbacked Mahseer. Yellow Fin Trevelly. Giant Trevelly. Chub. Brown Trout. Perch. Pike. Atlantic salmon. Dace. Minnow. Roach. Gudgeon. 
Species caught in 2010: Barramundi. Giant Trevelly. Moray eel. Indian sea catfish. Mangrove Jack. Deccan Mahseer. Humpback Mahseer. Chub. Brown Trout. Perch. Bass. Pike. 
Species caught in 2009: Chub. Perch. Pike. Pacu. Thai Striped Catfish. 
Species caught in 2008: Barramundi. p-i-k-e-y sea bream. Indian sea catfish. Guitarfish. Mangrove Jack. Mahseer. Squid (Not strictly a fish but it took a lure !). Emperor Sweetlip. Black Spot Snapper. Moray eel. Spangled Emperor. Bluecheek silver grunt. Yellow striped emperor. Vanikoro sweeper. Pike. Perch. Brown trout. Chub. Atlantic salmon.

#8 corydoras

corydoras

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,853 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:53 PM

Phone
Southampton has funny tides.

Edited by corydoras, 11 March 2019 - 08:19 PM.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

#9 Andrew

Andrew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,126 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, playing geeetar, having fun, foreign travel,the odd beer, going to gigs and most of all my family

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:56 AM

Archie Braddock is a very keen believer in moon phases, and i believe Bob Roberts is also.

That is for coarse and river fishing,

Edited by Andrew, 14 March 2019 - 07:57 AM.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis” 

#10 chesters1

chesters1

AN Resident Contrarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,799 posts
  • Interests:fishing,fossils,researching intrepid reels and general being naughty

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:44 AM

Go when its cloudy it wont have an effect😛

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness  it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson