Fishing forum or non fishing forum?

Tigger

I try pop not AN as often as possible but appart from the non fishing chat the place is quite dead.

I remember joining AN back in 2005 and it was a great forum, full of anglers posting topics and sharing their catch reports and talking about new tackle etc etc.

There where loads of knowledgeable anglers who where all full of enthusiasm....where have they all gone?

I mean have they just dropped off forum altogether, maybe they prefer facebook?

It is a shame as this was the best fishing forum on the net by a country mile.

I wonder how long Elton will keep it up and running?

Has anyone any thoughts on the matter?

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 1

Social media platforms seem to have largely taken over. Can't stand 'em myself but they are very popular.

It's not just AN either, other forums are dying.
The final nail in the coffin will be the Online Forums Bill, should it ever get through parliament, as it will make running a forum of any sort from the UK untenable.
Free speech is becoming a real issue.

Edited by Ken L
  • Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

You hit the nail on the head Tigger that stealing giving your information away to all and sundry Facebook has a lot to answer to.

• Like 1

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

You're quite right Tigger, it did used to be a great forum, it's sad to see what it has become. There used to be a lot of friendly names and faces, get togethers on fishins, a fine place to ask advice, share ones experiences, opinions and debate and plenty of good natured humour and having ones leg pulled now and again. For me and a few others I know/knew it was the extreme left wing element and their constant name calling of those who dared to share a differing personal experience or view that tainted the forums. It all sadly became a tad tedious and took away from the good natured vibe of the place.

Edited by *Ant*
  • Like 3

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

You're quite right Tigger, it did used to be a great forum, it's sad to see what it has become. There used to be a lot of friendly names and faces, get togethers on fishins, a fine place to ask advice, share ones experiences, opinions and debate and plenty of good natured humour and having ones leg pulled now and again. For me and a few others I know/knew it was the extreme left wing element and their constant name calling of those who dared to share a differing personal experience or view that tainted the forums. It all sadly became a tad tedious and took away from the good natured vibe of the place.

That said Ant, (& can't disagree) It's still a nice place to be for those of us who are left. :thumbs:

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

That said Ant, (& can't disagree) It's still a nice place to be for those of us who are left. :thumbs:

For some Martin.

The pathetic bickering and childish name calling FROM SO CALLED intelligent adults has been the cause for a few members to leave.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Gott'a hold my hand up Martin as i've done that myself bud. In my defence it was mostly the poster who originally came on as rabbit, he wasn't interested in angling for fish, just anglers I think and he had his sights set on me for some reason or other. When he was banned he kept re appearing under various names. No idea how the mod's assorted it but they did in the end.

I know he's recently been causing agg on FM and again had a few different accounts.

I've also had a few fall outs with sportsman but I think in that case him and me just disagree on pretty much everything....appart from the dog thread lol.

All,

Back where Nigel and Elton started this forum I was a "contributor" of what I believe was legitimate angling information. (We were even an e-mail group for awhile)

I am now a "dink" fisherman and only on rare occasions at that.

My "knowledge" of current kit and technique, even wearing apparel is so antiquated there would have to be a "the way it was" category for me to be of any use to anglers.

Much like my "bridge (cards)" companions I see fewer and fewer youngsters (under 60) reinventing the reels and lobs for us.

Phone

Gott'a hold my hand up Martin as i've done that myself bud. In my defence it was mostly the poster who originally came on as rabbit, he wasn't interested in angling for fish, just anglers I think and he had his sights set on me for some reason or other. When he was banned he kept re appearing under various names. No idea how the mod's assorted it but they did in the end.

I know he's recently been causing agg on FM and again had a few different accounts.

I've also had a few fall outs with sportsman but I think in that case him and me just disagree on pretty much everything....appart from the dog thread lol.

FM ? Radio?

I kinda liked him as a troll ,far more inventive than our present one ,his just goes round in circles but amusing anyway

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson