#1 Si...

Si...

r0x0r5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:16 PM

Does anyone actually still use these?
I ask as I'm on the lookout for some old school Solar monkey climbers if anyone has any that they'd part with?

#2 JOHN.H

JOHN.H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:16 AM

Hi Si ,

I am old school and still use home made monkey climbers where I actually want to strike a running fish instead of self hooking on bolt rigs . They are in my opinion excellent for eels, catfish and perch .Mine are made by cutting up different lengths of small bore white plastic overflow pipe , this gives you different weight "monkeys" to counteract undertow etc. I use grey metal knitting needles as they are coated and never rust . The needled are pushed in at the required angle and height to suit the conditions. I like to use the lightest weight" monkey " for the conditions and to have it drop off asap so it needs only travel 2-3 inches .Obviously the reel is fished with the bail arm open. Cheap as chips and used in conjunction with my old Optonic Super XL`s  as good a method of bite indication as you will get where fish are intolerant of resistance , and you want them to run . The old Optonics work with just line running over the wheel so you are fully aware even when the "monkey " has dropped off. For those who do not know the set up is positioned directly under the reel.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:51 PM

Plenty of monkey hangers in Hartlepool Si.  :bye2:

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis” 

#4 Elton

Elton

Site Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,454 posts
  • Interests:fishing, internet, cars, my dog

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:56 PM

I'll ask Julian to keep an eye out for them. We're still in touch and he dabbles a bit in old tackle.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE