Long disgorger

I always try and remove the hook. I think the trick is to keep your line taught, so once you have the hook in the disgorger you don't release it and allow it to re hok the fish as you withdraw the disgorger. Another thing I find, is to twist the disgorger round a little as you push out the hook so the hooks tip isn't going to be scraping along any part of the fish on it's way out, where it could penetrate the fish again. I usually do ok with my standard disgorgers but have done similar to Martin, and made my own.

I might attatch a disgorger to a section of knitting needle or similar for future mishaps!

After saying that, because of my preferred method of fishing, deep hooked fish are sometging I seldom have a problem with....thankfully.

• Like 1

A few years ago I bought myself one of the deep hook extractors pictured below but thankfully I havent had occasion to use it yet.

It comes with a bulbous bit that holds the flesh away from the hook points once the hook is released so you can safely extract it from the pikes throat and mouth.

Thankfully Ive still yet to find out if it works in practice but it looks like it should work so I still carry it whenever Im after Pike; just incase I cant get at the hooks safely through the gills or through the mouth.

Treble-Disgorger.jpg

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I have seen those ones for pike/ treble hooks Keith. I forget the makers of it, it may have been fox?

A m8 of mine has one, bit he never had cause to use it....handy though, just incase it was needed.

• Like 1

I have seen those ones for pike/ treble hooks Keith. I forget the makers of it, it may have been fox?

A m8 of mine has one, bit he never had cause to use it....handy though, just incase it was needed.

Comes under the 'John Roberts' Deep Throat disgorger ( easy there ! ) banner

I caught a carp (low double) yesterday that swallowed the hook right down. Size 14 barbless, but it could have been a bigger hook on another day. I always have a small disgorger, mainly for little fish, and forceps for larger hooks/fish. The hook was too deep, so I cut the line reckoning the carp could probably throw the hook.

But someone there said you should always have a very long disgorger as you can then get the hook out even if it's gone right down into the stomach.

Hmm, I am not sure it would have worked, and it's the first time it's ever happened with a carp, so I'm inclined to ignore the advice. But I'd be interested in the view of others on A.N.

Have you tried one of the Slammo type disgorgers ? Very useful in such situtions.

Long versions made by Stonfo, Milo and Guru ( the Continental version )

Hope this helps.