River Stour from Canterbury east.

Comus

Hi,

Don't know if anyone can help but I live in the Folkestone area of Kent and fancy some winter river fishing. The Stour at Canterbury is my nearest river. Has anyone fished it before? I understand that that much of it is controlled by a club. But that there are day ticket areas.

Thanks,

Comus

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the Stour at Canterbury is controlled by the Canterbuty and District Angling Club, I don't think the town stretches are day ticket, but I don't know for certain.

Two stretches they have which are day ticket, pay at the water, are at Grove Ferry and Plucks Gutter.

Both not too far from Folkestone by car.

I have had good catches of roach and chub at both venues in the Winter, with the odd bream.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

there used to be a very good spot right at the far end of the canal iden? lock ,not as easy to get to but worth the trip ,caught my only ever seatrout there amounst good sized fish of most species but your missing out the canal :confused: excellent at the hythe bridge 50ft "downstream" on the opposite side from folkestone or the last half mile to the sea always produces ,pity the best ponds gone (used to be at the bottom of gun? hill ) that produced great fish all year round

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I have been fishing the Stour around Canterbury on and off for years and the section of river running through the town is free fishing, the only place you cannot fish is the section upstream of the west gate in the gardens, the section worth a look runs from the car park just off of St Radigund Street, there is a footpath that runs all the way along the river, this section of river contains, chub, roach, dace, perch, pike, and if you are lucky the odd trout.

Another section worth checking out is at the end of Willow Close.

Another part of the stour worth a look is the section that runs through Ashford right next to the station it contains some big chub and roach here is a link to a fishing report on the river I posted on maggotdrowners

maggotdrowning.com/forum/topic....?TOPIC_ID=18989

if you scroll down the page you will see 2 posts titeled "small stream fishing at lunchtime"

hope this helps you, if you need more info let us know :D

<small>[ 03. January 2005, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: nick_gilbert ]</small>

I think you are right Budgie. C and D have withdrawn day tickets for the Grove ferry and Plucks gutter sections,you can check on there web site.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

yes they have stoped selling day tickets but at plucks gutter upstream there is a small free section just upstream of the bridge on the right, and if you walk futher up into the field the wansum club controll this section and sell day tickets, it fishes well by the bridge this time of the year.

Ooops, I'm sorry if I gave the wrong info on the day tickets at Grove Ferry and Plucks Gutter.

I fished there last Winter with no problems.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Thanks Guys,

I will try and track down these spots. Tried to go on the C&DAA site for guidance but it's been defaced!! I've fished the canal at West Hythe but not Iden Lock. I will try and find it. Thanks again.

Commus I know the free stretch at Iden Lock very well.If you would like to know more details let me know.Also If ever you need a lift to any of the fish ins we do on rivers with AN (like the great day on the Test at Timsbury) let me know as Im only at Ashford. I understand your frustration as even though we have great still water fishing around here the river fishing is some what lacking.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!