Greys Beachcasters

Gillies

After a good couple of hours shore fishing yesterday, catching a number of Thornback Rays, and one or two LSD's - I think I'll look at getting a new beachcaster and do a wee bit more shore fishing this year.

Am becoming a fan of Greys rods as they have an Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee (with my record with rods, I need something like this).

Has anyone any info on the Greys Beachcasters? and if they are any good for fishing of beach of rocks, over mixed ground - with reels ranging from Abu 6000s to Abu 9000s.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Hi Gillies,

Greys are not a bad range of rods atall. Got a million uses, good casters, rods for rough ground + ssofter ground etc. But its a GOOD job there is a lifetime garantee because the newer ones tent to snap on the tip after alittle use on a regular basis. Greys have been replacing tips no questions asked which is handy, they dont seem the most expensive tools in the box iether which is a plus... :)

Tight Lines

Shaun

Gillies,

As a previoue "die in the wool" Century man, I can say with confidence that if you choose a Grey's rod, you won't be dissapointed. There are a number of reasons why I've gone over to Greys in the past few years.

1. The quality of the blanks, whippings, rings

and grips. Shaun's right about the early

problems with tip breakage, when they moved

production to the far east, but this has now

been rectified.

2. What you get for your dosh. The ticket price

includes fuji reel seat, reducer, velcro rod

wraps and a rod bag. This would cost over £40

if you had to buy these separately. Try

asking zziplex for a rod bag!

3. The unlimited warranty. Have used this when I

broke the butt section of my Mercury, and they

were brilliant.

4. The rods were designed by a real angler.

Tony Anderson lives and fishes in Newcastle,

and the type of fishing he does is very

similar to us in Scotland.

5. Most importantly, you can actually go along

to your local tackle shop and get a feel

for the rod and make your own choice. Most

decent shops stock Greys because they dont

ask shops up front for the money. This is

why you wont get a dealer in Scotland to

stock the full range of Century, Conoflex

or Zziplex. Dont be tempted to buy mail

order or on the strength of a magazine

review- could be an expensive mistake.

The "Orion" is a very reasonably price rod, "Appollo" is a great kelp cod rod but very powerful and not easy to power cast with."PZ Match is a good match style rod with stiff butt and mid sections and a flexible tip. "Synchro" is a longer rod designed for using the reel down the butt, and "supro" is the a great all rounder.

Guest STAN

i have the apollo mk1 13ft awesome power for lifting and rough ground! greys are up there with the best of them :D

I would advise you try and get hold of one of the mk 1 rods, the pz match is a really versatile rod and can handle most fishing situations. The mk 2 rods are made abraoad, and yes they offer a good package for the cash but the blanks are not as good. They are less responsive and dont bend as cleanly as the originals (if that makes sense!). I mean think about a rod made in alnwick, a few miles from northumberland coast in the hardys factory, and then think of a rod made in a factory in a city in japan by people who will never and have never fished with them...

I must confess I'm a bit of a Greys man meself, I own 2 x Greys Mercurys and the Apollo MKii 14' aswell as a Greyflex 10' fly rod. All fantastic quality and i would recommend them to anyone. The Apollo came with an 18" reducer and a custom made rod bag plus the lifetime warranty which incidentally costs £30 per section to replace (this i'm assured is for handling charges)

Looks like I will look into getting one then :) I already have a Grey's Pirker, which is a super rod ... casts a 500g pirk with ease.

We have a tackle shop up here which stock Greys, but I think urrently only has the fly rods and boat rods.

Thanks for all the very detailed info !!!!

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Guest jay_con

Yep great rod. I wouldnt be without it. My Mark 1 is roughly 6 years old. Ive lifted cod to 9Lb 15 up 50 foot just knelt on the rod butt. Still as good a rod as the day I bought it. Try get a mark1 as the mark 2 does seem to snap.

Judging by the above reports I see other people are impressed too.