MCS Conference - Take Two

Guest Elton

Guest Elton

This was sent to me by Chris Uttley - many thanks to Chris for taking the time sharing his thoughts with us:

Dear Anglersnet readers,

I attended the Marine Conservation Society/NFSA Sea Angling conference both in my capacity as a marine conservation policy officer with the Countryside Council for Wales (the governments statutory advisor on conservation of wildlife, landscape and promotion of recreation and access in the countryside and on our shores) and as a life long angler.

For a number of reasons, my view is that the conference was a great success. For me the most important aspect of the day was this; it was the first formal public meeting of representatives from sea angling and those from conservation. This conference was a formal recognition of the ground shared between these two. Both anglers and conservationists want a healthy environment in which our wildlife can flourish, we both want our seas to be managed in a more sustainable way than they appear to be at the present, and we both want our children to be able to enjoy our countryside and shores in the future as much as we ourselves do now. Most importantly, anglers want a healthy stock of fish to catch and those involved in conservation want a healthy environment that can deliver those fish.

In fact there is so much shared ground that this conference also began the process of breaking down the artificial barriers between us. It has been a long-term aim of mine to get colleagues to recognise the value of angling and more precisely, anglers to our work, and this conference was the best progress for years. I have to say that he angling press is also guilty of maintaining the barriers. This conference began the process of recognition in angling that conservation measures are not in place to make the lives of anglers harder, but to conserve the environment within which fish and all wildlife can flourish.

I was especially impressed with the work described by Frank Nesbitt and Mike Quigley in the North East of England. Their talks demonstrated the strength of partnerships created by those working in conservation and anglers. There was recognition by both that anglers need to be involved in conservation measures. Bait digging is an emotive issue, and the right to collect bait cannot be disputed. But with this right, must come the recognition that anglers have a responsibility, as do we all when we take part in an activity that affects wildlife, to limit our impact on the natural processes that sustain our shores. The voluntary agreements eventually agreed upon are immensely valuable because they have been signed up to by all concerned and demonstrate that anglers views can be taken into consideration and that anglers can act responsibly. We who are involved in both conservation and angling have always known this, but these agreements bring this knowledge into the public domain.

And it is important that we do publicise the successes. The attendance at the conference by MAFF officials signalled that as anglers start to formalise their involvement within marine conservation, the more they would be listened to by those who make the decisions. Some of you, who attended, may feel disappointed at the apparent lack of progress made there, but these things do take time. This was a significant step and one that must be capitalised on if it is not to be wasted. The presence of 3 senior MAFF people was recognition in itself of the growing importance being placed on angling as a significant contributor to coastal economies.

I would recommend a number of actions as a result of the conference.

1. Publicise widely the results of the socio-economic study to be completed soon. This will provide recognition of the financial importance of angling and as such push it up the political agenda.

2. Anglers, find out what they can do to help conservation bodies with their work. Ring up your local Wildlife trust office and see what you can do. You can contact your local Countryside council for Wales/English Nature/Scottish Natural Heritage office to find out more about important conservation sites on the coast in your area.

The common ground shared between angling and conservation is well demonstrated on our freshwaters and as such, anglers play a significant role in the management of their fisheries for the long-term benefits of good fish stocks and a healthy environment. I look forward to similar partnerships appearing on the coast.

3. The boundary erected between anglers and conservationists is artificial and I recommend that you write to the angling press to publicise any joint initiatives you become involved in

Of course there will be differences of opinion on some issues, but the important point is that we recognise our joint aims and objectives and keep these in mind during any discussions.

I wish you all good luck and tight lines.

Chris Uttley

Maritime Policy and advisory officer (Countryside Council for Wales)

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

Guest chris pledge

It's good to see a positive report, and that progress is being made from the conference.

Well done too all concerned Posted Image

Chris