Mullet watch 2005

Guest sslatter

Guest sslatter

The first shoal of thins is in my local estuary- about 150 fish, but no sign of the thousands yet.. but it can't be long now. Interestingly or not, the water temp is around the 8-9 degree mark.

I suppose this is the start of the couple of months period where I kid myself I can go out with the chance of a fish, but where I don't catch until May. Last year was like that.. and the year before, I had one in March, and had to wait two months for another one.

Oh well.. look on the bright side. :D

Anybody else spotted anything around?

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi where abouts is you local estuary?

Just waiting for a few weeks of constant warm weather and i will be out there giving them a bash

HAs any one seen any cruising in the River Medway at all this year so far?

Matt

Hia's All

Guest sslatter

Hi Matt- Southampton Water. There are some thins in both the Itchen and the Hamble. As far as the western side goes, no idea, but I'll have a scout around there soon, no doubt. Time to get the flounder spoons out, maybe?

All the best.

[ 14. March 2005, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Graham. X ]

Guest sslatter

There's a big baitball-type shoal of 4"-6" mullet hanging around my local stretch. Saw three bigger fish a couple of days ago- best around 4lb. Isolated groups of two and three are in the Hamble, and with the stonking weather we're having down here, a serious assault is on the cards this weekend.

I think the season's definitely started. :D

Here on the east coast (Medway estuary), I'm not expecting to see lip-marks on the mud until mid-April. Such has been the case for the past four years; almost certain they're thinlips. Thicklips seem to arrive two or three weeks later. Always the chance of an early straggler, but I'll restrain myself because I think I'm better employed carp or tench fishing until the mullet are about in significant numbers.

Guest sslatter

At midday today, a very excited mullet pal of mine called round.. which is unusual. He blurted out what he could.. that he had just seen hundreds of mullet in the estuary. So I grabbed my rod and tackle and off we went..

..and there are indeed suddenly many hundreds, if not thousands of thins swimming around my local estuary, over the shallow mud flats that are warm from the sun. Most around the 1lb mark, but here and there, a few much bigger fish. Also a fair sprinkling of those odd-looking "white" fish, that often get mistaken for true albinos..

..and did we catch? Did we hell.. the usual story of lots of fish swimming around our baits (bread), but not a touch..

I'll try a baited flounder spoon tomorrow, but I'm not that confident..

Still.. the weather's nice. :D

[ 19. March 2005, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Graham. X ]

Well it's 8.9C at Sun Pier (wavering down to 8.7C then back up again), so the theoritical feeding temperature is nearly reached (9.0C).

And with the afternoon sun on exposed mud it can come up a couple of degrees in a day.

Personally, I find 12C is needed to bring them onto feed, maybe a tad more.

But that may not be long now :)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust