Winfield Tackle.

Peter Waller

Anyone collect it?

I was, as anglers do, poking round an angling shop today. Wherhay, what do we have here?! A Winfield Shanny and a Swedish made ABU Ellips! For only two quid!! Thanks Tackle Turkey!!

The Shanny was an ABU Toby look-a-like dating back to the 60's. The ABU Toby was king back then & Woolies jumped on the band wagon with a pretty convincing copy. ABU, predictably, sued Woolies. It was about that time that Woolies stopped selling fishing tackle. I often wonder if the ABU court case was a deciding factor.

Another bit of pointless junk for my wall!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did some good rods, the blanks were excellent ( for their day ) but the fitting were poor. A quick re-whip with new rings and bingo!

Andrew Boyd

the boat multiplyers were good ,i still have an international 50 ,i wish i could find out who made them after 20 years the handles getting a bit loose :( as you can see the only bit of corrosion is in the screw heads where 20 years of annual stripdown has taken of the plating,the handles loose as the pin that holds the plastic finger bit has come loose on the crank

Posted Image

[ 07. December 2004, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

also looks penn ish,the chrome is excellant cant have been a cheap import sold dear

[ 07. December 2004, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

the reason that people say that winfield tackle was good ( yes I bought plenty of it and I still have a few packets of their flies) is because it was Shakespeare tackle sold under woolies own brand and at a lower price than equivelant Shakespeare gear. The tackle trade as I understand it were not too pleased about the deal at the time as woolies were selling rods and reels for less than tackle dealers could buy them from Shakespeare

doesent look shakespeary