Lobster Pot Update

Salar

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi do you need to put any food in the lobster pot to tempt them in? I live near glasgow and go camping alot near salt lochs I take it they are great places to put a lobster pot? where can I get a couple from cheap? and how far out do you need to put them? would be great for a camping grub!!

heidi1977:

Hi do you need to put any food in the lobster pot to tempt them in? I live near glasgow and go camping alot near salt lochs I take it they are great places to put a lobster pot? where can I get a couple from cheap? and how far out do you need to put them? would be great for a camping grub!!

I'm told there are lobsters close in that the commercial potters miss. You need to bait a pot with fish, if you stuff a mesh bag with fish scraps the first lobster in does not eat it all so more come in as well. You may be able to buy an old one from a fisherman - there is a web site that advertises second hand gear , I'll see if I can find it.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Grant - from the link I posted in an earlier post on this thread,

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I have snagged and occasionally landed lobsters and crabs from the piers in Jersey. Sometimes they would get entangled in the trace and other times they would just not let go of a particularly juicy piece of squid.

We have a big tidal range down here, 25 - 40 ft approximately and people do collect lobsters and crabs from the shore, particularly on the big springs.

You could take a look at Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's book for a bit of advice on how to catch by throwing pots from the shore, not literally you just drop them in the water!

bait your pots up with mackerel don't gut them, that's a canny bait for the lobsters, and as they are in at the moment your laughing all the way to the lobster salads. :D:D:D you'll find load of recipes on line Posted Image

Socksy Squirrel:

You could take a look at Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's book for a bit of advice on how to catch by throwing pots from the shore, not literally you just drop them in the water!

He dons a wet suit and paddles out in an old tractor tyre to drop his pots. He says its a bit of a struggle to lift them - he's not kidding! Somewhere in my boat I have a folding prawn trap I bought in Canada. If that could be scaled up it could be a very useful lobster pot for shore use - very light and lobbable. I'll see if I can reverse engineer it and source the bits over here.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk