Lobster Pot Update

Salar

Try this for a source of pots:-

http://www.netmanufacturers.co.uk/pro-tec/277.html

Plenty of other useful links on http://www.findafishingboat.co.uk

I used to do a couple of pots with my mate in a 13ft dinghy, and my ex-next door neighbour runs 400 pots so I know a bit about potting.

Good things to weigh pots down with - sash weights, old mooring chain, rebar.

Also, why bother taking your pot home with you, just leave it in the sea unbaited!

If you run a 'trusse' of 2 pots, then make sure that the rope between them is longer than the depth of water, otherwise you'll get the first pot to within a few feet of the surface and suddenly everything gets VERY heavy as the second pot comes off the bottom!! Been there, done that!

Do not use blue polypropylene as a bobber rope, it floats!

Our best catch was a 6lb spider crab which came up clinging to the side of the pot as it was too big to fit through the neck!

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Toerag, I'll try them for sandeel netting. I'm still trying to find a supplier that will sell an offcut for my push-net. Selsey Fishing supplies never seem to be open, others only sell bales :confused:

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Saw some bloke 'raking' up sandeels one night on 'the spit' down the road - tide was well out but the eels were under the sand?

Must go & have a rake about one night!

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Salar:

I'll try and get a couple before August, Alan!
No problem Salar, some things just are'nt meant to be, next time. I had a nice Lobster with ChrisP last week though :D

I have ordered a couple of eel traps and one of them are for you, getting it to you could be a bit difficult. The problem with them is that they fill up with crabs which is why I ordered them, peelers here we come.

Davy hauled some creels while I was with him one year, 1 Prawn was cerimoniously cooked and shared.

The Scallops were easy they were delivered

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Alan, I had them in the fish well but forgot to show you :( I now need to get another grapnel, a couple of floats and set up some weights and then I'll be back in business As you say, next time.

Hi guys.

I like the idea of trying out this potting myself and would appreciate any info or advice on how to get started, any rules regulations etc would be handy, thanks.

Sorry MP, missed this earlier. Have a look back on this forum, there are a couple of threads on potting and some good tips there. Also look at the web sites for pot suppliers, some have FAQs and tips. Best use Google and just go exploring on the web! If you buy a trap from Interex they provide a useful instruction sheet. Good luck