Mullet Watch 2004

Chippy

Guest sslatter

Oh yes, Leon. :-) We're having our local "mullet café" first "ceremonial fish-in of the year" tomorrow from 7.00 am. More of a laugh than serious fishing, but there is a mini shoal of 20 swimming around, so who knows? It's great fun, and if and when you hook a good one, it's the BEST adrenaline rush of any fishing I've experienced (mostly coarse) by far, IMHO. And I love it to death.

But hey..I don't have to explain it to another mulleteer, do I? ;-)

Best of luck for the season. :-)

[ 01. April 2004, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sslatter

1 bass landed between four anglers over two sessions. 4 missed bites, could have been anything, and then at 12.45 pm, 200-250 thins (I presume) turn up in one go, just swimming past, lazily round and round as they do. Most around the 10" mark, but quite a few one-and-a-half-pounders, and one of around 3lb. It was warm and sunny, the shallow water was warming up, and we fished for another hour, the usual early season tale of fish swimming right by the bait, bumping into the float, ignoring all offerings, floaters etc. I'm hopefully going to try a bit of virgin saltmarsh next week, but if the temp doesn't go up, it'll probably be the same thing there.

Mulleting or diving? This weekend? Might sound strange but I'd go diving, only 'cos I've never done it though, only snorkelling.

How's your antique bottle collection? ;-)

[ 02. April 2004, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

Guest sslatter

I've just come back over the river, the tide was coming up to a springer, on the low. Nothing. No fish anywhere. Still waiting for the return of the thousands.

No sign of mulllet yet, but I went for a dive yesterday. Sea temp according to the dive computer was 10.3!!

I didn't see any mullet, and there were very few fish or any type around - a couple of wrasse and that was it.

The lobsters have started to return to the shallower water again which is a good sign that the water is warming up. I saw two beauties in less than 10 meters of water.

There were also hordes of Sea Hares, presumably mating.

Here's a few of the pics from the dive:-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice piccies, mee boy!

I guess Sea Hares mate like 'rabbits'?

Anyway, on the Murret front we get an amazing phenomenon called 'Gold Fever' here in the Solent ....

mark anonymous, some of you will know why ......

just leetle thin lips with a gold coin on each gill cover ......

having a go tomorrow with 'Birdsnest' .....

let yer know .....

Chippy:

Has anyone seen the return of the grey beasts yet?

No but I can feel the need to come out of hibernation... start dusting down and cleaning up the rods and reels, and sort out the terminal bits and bobs.....

Paul - Looks like I'm not going to make it over this summer :( Too many jobs to do around the house, and too little money whilst Karen finishes off the PhD .. but it may give me a chance to update the Diary and the Aquarium, and fish some alternative venues ... anyone want to fish with the mad bloke with the grey hair :D

If we do get a chance then it will be last minute stuff via at the end of Aug, and fly in for a week, in which case the fishing will still be limited with all the people we'll need to see on the island ...... :rolleyes:

I've spoken to Chris B and let him know, and I'm sure he'd be up for a few outings if your game..... if things work out, maybe I'll get a chance to spend a week over during half term in Oct .. but no promises..

Leon - are you doing a novice medway fishin-in this year, and if so have you a date in mind????

If I can wangle things I may be able to come down over may / june on the odd wednesday if your at a loose end - in between all the jobs your dear lady wife now has you doing in your lazy retirement days ... :D

Phil