Leslie Moncrieff

dillydangler

hows it going everyone?

i`ve been going through my old fishing tackle and came across my first ever beachcaster.given to me by my dads mate some 20 years ago.it`s a leslie moncrieff double taper.he`d had it a few years before he gave it to me.

if anyone out there knows anything about the rod or moncrieff i`ll be gratefull.

cheers.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably the Hardy Logbow, designed by Leslie in the old days for long distance casting. The idea was that being tapered each end, it would act like a bow.

Not much good these days though compared to the new rods.

It is quite collectible, so hang on to it.

thanks for the feedback M.P

i`m not planning on using it i`m thinking of restoring it.the blank is in good condition the chrome guides have seen better days.

i can still remember try to cast the beast as an 11 year old.whippy or what.

and it weighs a tonne thank god for carbon fibre

i`m not going to sell it but would like to see it in the condition when it was given to me.

I had one I mentioned it in an old thread, used the Intrepid Seastreak multi with it.

It may just be a bad memory but I thought could cast it very reasonably back then. A lot younger and fitter.

Some berated the Intrepid but as I remember I used to pack it with a small amount of vaseline.

:D:D Stop giggling

I used to go night fishing with it on Bedfords beach (part of Bournemouth Bay, east end ) for sole and bass.

I cannot honestly think of any bad birds nest just the occasional over run and whist the rod was heaver than todays, back then it was the bees knees. Not quite sure where it disappeared to but I would imagime it is rapidly becoming an antique. :D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

I still have a Modern Arms Castaway reverse taper rod somewhere.

Davy Holt and Vagabond still have Hardy Longbows.

I used to have a Martin James 100Plus before it was stolen. That had a piece of parallel solid glass fibre under the cork handle. Great for casting in cramped places. That was termed a Spring Butt.

The first Moncrief reverse taper rod was called a Spring Heel, I think.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

ah those where the days lay back rods and barrow loads of cod, how things have changed, rod technology vastly improved but the fishing has gone to pot, compared to when he use to tread the beach at dungie.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

I seem to remember the term spring butt relating to my rod, it was hollow glassfibre, can't remember the length. It had a Union Jack on it and I believe the reel seat was a screw one, it was a light yellowy brown in colour.

We spent many a night together, fond memories. :D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Leslie gave demonstrations across the country, including Lowestoft where I live. Remember going to the local football ground to watch. Leslie, a very nice man indeed, did his bit. He then invited locals to do their best so he could advise how they could improve their style. A few old boys came on with their casting poles. Leslie had the good grace to laugh when they out distanced him!