520lber caught!

tyurke

Severn Wolf:

I`ve kept with this thread and its been lively to say the least!

I`m afraid that what I have to say may offend some folks, please don`t forget its just my opinion.......

I think the condemnation of our U.S compadres has been a bit severe. We need to look at our our practices and realise that we`re not whiter than white before we start having a dig at anglers from another nation.

Look at the mistreatment of pike over the years......I know of pools where big pike (25 plussers) never go back, they end up on the table. Look at some pleasure anglers (and baliffs) who have nothing but hatred for pike and throw them in the bushes as they don`t want them in `their` lake. I don`t see that as the actions of a caring sportsman.

Salmon, they were taken in numbers from the rivers. Ok, the netsmen at the estuaries take a considerable amount more than anglers will ever catch but salmon anglers have been forced to operate a catch and release policy. Thats the key word, forced. It wasn`t a decision made by local clubs and syndicates controlling stretches of water, it was a decision made by the powers that be. We`ve known for years that the salmon population has been in decline but what have we voluntarily done about it?......nothing.

These swords are colossal fish but they are hammered by the longliners (as are many other `unwanted` species). The anglers have made the effort to get longliners areas restricted to conserve stocks, thats a damn sight more than we`ve ever done to protect our fishing. Ok, every now and again a monster fish appears dead in a photo but in the greater scheme of things its a worthwhile sacrifice. Also, the circumstances of capture seem to imply that these fish have a struggle to survive the capture. Its one of the darker sides of our sport but don`t forget that at its very basic we are still hunting.

Not too many years ago the Marlin Cup was fished by respected anglers and personalities and EVERY fish was killed. This was a high profile competition and its not been all that long that the points system and catch and release has been implemented.

I have fished with Florida Skippers and have seen first hand that fish welfare is top of the list. A 120 tarpon was carefully nursed back to strength by the skipper as I steered the boat round in circles. The thought of a scale off this fish or even lifting it out to get a trophy shot never entered either of our minds.

We have given our friends a hard time over this Sword without considering their situation. The fish wasn`t wasted, it may not have survived if released so what are they supposed to do?

The only option open for a 100% survival rate is to stop fishing for them......... and thats not going to happen.

:cool: I agree with all you say. Our American 'cousins' have conserved their stocks superbly, to the state where an angler can usually catch his bag limit every trip. If stocks are healthy, whether it's grouper or swordfish, then take a fish or two for the table and take a picture also if it's worthy of it. They don't have the same depleted stocks that we have, so they can aford to take a fish or two, we are showing signs of jealousy when we criticise them for killing 'their' fish. :D

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norm B.

you used the very word I was averse to using over the past week or so, "jealousy". Now the word has been broached then gloves off. Most of the bleaters who moaned about a 17 year olds catch of a lifetime would probably have **** a brick if it had taken their bait. That assumes they ever had the cahonies to put a bait out for it in the first place. Leave them to catch their pout and coalie and stuff the idea that "thats all we`ve got because of the commercials" If thats all youve got go fish elsewhere or jump on a big silver bird and enjoy. Some pratt will now come on and say I`d rather see a dozen or two 3lb bass swim away to breed as catch a 500lb+ sword. Bull, no you would'nt you`d rather catch the sword but aint got the cahonies to try. I`d rather stick the same bass on a 12/0 and use them as six gill bait (live)

BoatsMiami.com Yacht Sales:

quote:
As you feel 80 lb braid 'saves' fish that otherwise get caught up on the craggy bottom of the lochs you fish, let me ask you this... have you given thought to as when one does get snagged you'll probably damage the fish in some way... by 'ripping' him through the obstruction and causing lip/bodily damage from the strain of well over 80 lbs (you do know that braid's breaking strength actually breaks well above its stated test, right?)?

Sorry don't agree with that. Following on from Stan's posts, I agree that the actual force applied to the fish is much less than the lines actual breaking strain, just not sure how much. I would also never dream of simply dragging a fish out of a snag, personally I'd slacken the line and let the fish, hopefully, find its own way out, which has worked for me before. From your own post I notice you do as well

Light line will save more fish by breaking, thus freeing the fish from the snag. If you're as conservation minded as you claim, surely you're using degradable hook that will rot out in a few days versus hooks that become more like a permanent lip piercing as found on many of the young people today?

Again, I cannot see that having fish snap your mainline can be beneficial for the fish? Just because your line is snapping, when you get a fish snagged, it doesn't follow that the fish is being freed. Even if it does, I don't think that dragging around the trace, hook and a length of line to be particularly beneficial? Best option in my book is to land, unhook and return the fish with as little fuss as possible. Both the hooks and wire I use would degrade over time although I'd just rather not leave them in the fish or my swim.

Finesse is sporting, in my opinion and I'm sure many others here as well, Where 'bulling' a fish in is not. I can see using say maybe 20 lb, or maybe even 30 for abraision reasons but beyond that it's just plain too much.

We here in Florida deal with many 'snaggy' areas... coral, artificial reefs, sunken wrecks, mangrove tree lined shores, bridge pilings and such, (usually encrusted with razor-like barnacles and mussels), and never have I heard of someone using such heavy line. You lose less fish finessing them on lighter line... try it and see for yourself.

I'm sorry you seem to miss my point. In my eyes the sport is, finding, getting the fish to bite and hooking the fish, the fight, in my eyes, can be way over-rated. Personally, I want to catch fish...not wrestle them around for ages and ages! Just because I'm using 50 or 80lb braid doesn't mean, however, I can simply just wind 'em in or that I treat my quarry with any less finesse that you? In fact, I've found the lack of stretch means I run more of a risk by being heavy handed with braid compared with mono. I also feel that the abrasion resistance of 20lb or 30lb braid isn't as good as the 50 or 80lb I use, and apart from the diameter, I can't see any gains are to be had from using it? I think many simply get hung up on the b/strain and miss the benefits offered by such modern braids.

"Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

quote:

Originally posted by Scopex:

[/qb]

I'm sorry you seem to miss my point. In my eyes the sport is, finding, getting the fish to bite and hooking the fish, the fight, in my eyes, can be way over-rated. Personally, I want to catch fish...not wrestle them around for ages and ages!

Then why not just not use hooks? That way the fish dose not get harmed.

just saying that to kill an old sea warrior like that is pritty sad, i personly couldnt bring my self to kill somthing as majestic!

if i thought it would end in a death then i would not fish for it full stop! with this mussel hard man fishing BS, were a skipper gets u on the fish baits up for u gaffs for you unhooks for you i fail to even see the skill or sportsman ship!

oh woopy doo u heaved it in ya strained ya mussels! big slaps on the back all round! fail to see that its even angling! apreciate that some of u US lads have your own boats and skipper ya self and appreciat the offers to come over and try for my self, but u would not catch me doing the big game thing!

smaller sporting species on light tackle will do me fine! somthing i can take a pic of and thro back!

stan4massey:

Bull, no you would'nt you`d rather catch the sword but aint got the cahonies to try.  

Sorry , I didn't know anglers needed oversize trouser tackle to go fishing?

Therefore, I think the term "b*ll*cks" is a more appropriate response to your statement! :D

[ 19. October 2005, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Scopex ]

"Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Scopex,

I think what bottom fish was trying to say was to use hooks , i.e singles rather than trebles. Could be wrong. I earlier said the hatchet was buiried and I mean it. However in a nice way can I query one or two of your points.

" from Scopex:- Just because I'm using 50 or 80lb braid doesn't mean, however, I cant simply just wind 'em in ". Yes it does, you can winch them in like a tug boat pulling a ferry. Lock the reel elongate the blank and wind, assuming the hook hold is strong it`s not possible to lose it. I know you fish the Scottish Lochs and they have weed and snags etc. I`ve also fished them for over forty years and never needed braid yet. I`ve never had a monster pike, best about 17-18lb but it gave in no bother on (cant remember now) probably 12-17lb Stren in they days. Anyway myself and Bottomfish are probably prolonging a subject that is played out (again no pun intended)