520lber caught!

tyurke

stan4massey:

Scopex,

I think what bottom fish was trying to say was to use hooks , i.e singles rather than trebles.  Could be wrong.  I earlier said the hatchet was buiried and I mean it. However in a nice way can I query one or two of your points.  

" from Scopex:- Just because I'm using 50 or 80lb braid doesn't mean, however, I cant simply just wind 'em in ".   Yes it does, you can winch them in like a tug boat pulling a ferry.  Lock the reel elongate the blank and wind, assuming the hook hold is strong it`s not possible to lose it.  I know you fish the Scottish Lochs and they have weed and snags etc.  I`ve also fished them for over forty years and never needed braid yet.  I`ve never had a monster pike, best about 17-18lb but it gave in no bother on (cant remember now) probably 12-17lb Stren in they days.   Anyway myself and Bottomfish are probably prolonging a subject that is played out (again no pun intended)

Honestly there's no hatchet to bury Stan, this thread has been very informative and lively one but at the end of the day we're all anglers and free to choose what we do or don't do and long may that remain, simply because I don't agree with someone view doesn't I don't respect his posistion.

And anyway I like a good argument!! Grumpy old git is the term my wife tends to use!! :D

Still disagree with you on the braid thing, I initially lost a few fish when switching to braid by me being a little heavier handed and losing the hook hold, the lack of stretch was a little hard to get used to. The 50lb braid I use for deabait fishing is about the same diameter as the Stren that you used, I feel that by comparing braid to mono we somewhat miss the point as they are so different.

"Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem Scopex. Warrior seems to becoming a little up-tight. To date I`ve taken the US side (more or less) but WARRIOR, your lasts comments just seem to be trying to stir things up again.

"" From Warrior:- Then get back on your row boat with your banana hammock and leave "the big game thing" to us."

Trust me Brits don`t just fish skate and carp, now and again we fish slightly bigger and, Oh yes! by the way, wipe the floor with the yank teams year after year in the International billfish champs, and catch just a few World records (think from memory its around 21% of the IGFA world records, US 32%) Check the SCBI record lists. 21% of 55m people against 32% of 350m people, not a bad batting average old boy!

By the way my personal best is an estimated tiger shark around 700lb (released off Kenya) and five marlin over 300lb (estimated and released) (not to mention 3 IGFA world rocords still current) whats your PB ?????? Got to stand up for the Brits now and then, Check this out sonny boy!

http://www.scbi.org.uk/pages/About_Introduction.asp

Have a nice day on your own bannana boat.

stan4massey:

(think from memory its around 21% of the IGFA world records, US 32%)

That number is somewhat skewed stan4massey if it deals with all the IGFA records. Skewed mostly with the fresh water records though.

Lots of UK freshwater anglers use a hair rig and due to a quirk in the IGFA regulations, any fish caught on a hair rig are disallowed.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Little info on WARRIOR. No world records-whatever. 369# giant bluefin (core weight),138# yellowfin tuna, 78# dolphin, 101# wahoo, too many marlin (blue/white) to count-several blues over 300#, double digit daily sailfish releases(dead bait troll only), 30+# red drum release(on 8# test-3 weeks ago), 42" snook release (too big to keep), shall I keep on going...Oh, don't forget the Swordfish we cought LAST NIGHT, snapper, grouper, king mackeral, and cobia whatever. Don't want to leave out the countless spiney lobster and bahamian hog fish I've speared while free diving. I'm not the most worldly, but have fished from the Hudson canyon to Key West and damn near all the Bahamas to Turks and Caicos.

We are blessed over here. I'm blessed to be able to fish/dive, or kill/release as I wish. I love to fish. I am glad you are proud of your trophy fish, but I don't really give a damn about world records or a 700# Tiger.

Warrior - best info I've found is Here and 3 of the blogs. Jeff Masters, Steve Gregory, Lefty420.

Great discussions, interesting links, and what has proven to be much better info this season than any of the major sources.

Whatever Wilma does, it ain't gonna be fun for anyone in the path. Just ramping up again after an EWRC and the track is still pretty iffy.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

geffaz,

I don't know how to say this without sounding like a pr1ck, so that must be what I am....but your posts would carry a lot more weight if you used a spell checker occasionally. (not sure if I spelled occasionally right :) Just a thought mate.

yeah lol your probably right!