Pair Trawling in the Channel

Chippy

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, and I know it won't exactly be popular or much shared here, is that some of the "stunts" Greenpeace are doing have no place at sea whatsoever, whatever the rights and wrongs of the cause. Wires under tension, heavy weights, and big nets don't mix with pratts in rubber boats trying to foul up the gear.

Someone will get killed sooner or later but it will proberly end up being some poor deckie getting sliced by a wire rather than anyone from greenpeace getting shot.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Thanks Chippy, this pair trawling has to be stopped and no doubt if it carries on this way there will be a serious incident, i'ts just a shame it has to come to that before anything stands a chance of getting done, like everthing else in these islands.

[ 14. March 2005, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Prowler ]

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Guest bennyTHEBASS

Jaffa:

IMO, and I know it won't exactly be popular or much shared here, is that some of the "stunts" Greenpeace are doing have no place at sea whatsoever, whatever the rights and wrongs of the cause. Wires under tension, heavy weights, and big nets don't mix with pratts in rubber boats trying to foul up the gear.

Someone will get killed sooner or later but it will proberly end up being some poor deckie getting sliced by a wire rather than anyone from greenpeace getting shot.

just give the trawlers tnt hopfully they will blow themselves and not the fish

This govement realy did insult our intelligence by

the fig leaf of banning pair trawling inside 12miles. As far as im awear little pair trawling happened anyway within 12miles.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Well they know what they can do with their fig leaf, use it as andrex because that's all its worth, personally i'm fed up with these islands being abused in this way if i'ts not fishing issues it's the illegal dumping of oil and chemicals off our shores which inevetably end up on our beaches, but what gets done.....

sorry for the rant

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

"EU AGREES TO FASTER ACTION TO PROTECT DOLPHINS AFTER UK PRESSURE"

http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2005/050314c.htm

"The UK today welcomed a commitment by the European Community to an early review of the data on bycatch of small cetaceans in the English Channel and western approaches.

The Commission was responding to a request from the UK Fisheries Minister, Ben Bradshaw, at a meeting of EU Council of Ministers in Brussels today.

Mr Bradshaw told the meeting that an early review was needed because of continuing high levels of bycatch and deep public concern about the problem.

There was particular concern about the bass pair trawl fishery in the Western Channel, he said.

The UK call received strong support for its request from Germany and Sweden.

No Member State spoke against.

In agreeing the UK request, Fisheries Commissioner, Joe Borg, who recently visited southwest England and heard firsthand about the problem, said cetacean bycatch was of "primary concern" to the Commission and of "personal concern" to himself."

Mind you the Scottish Pair Trawlers aren't too happy.

See: FishUpdate.com

TL - leon

[ 14. March 2005, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

The thing is we see more and more dolphins, they seem to be increaceing not heading for exstinction,

I can never work out why dolphins get caught in the bass pair trawls, and I think it is uneque to bass trawling in the south west aproaches. A dolphin can easly out swim and manoeuvre a pair trawl that is doing 2 or 3 knots, a dolphin can easly reach 20 knots.

My theory is that the dolphins have over the years learnt to enter the net for a feed and only get caught if the net is hauled while they are in there.

I fish to live and live to fish.

One of the old fishermen at whitby told me he saw a couple of keel boats rigging up for pair trawling and his words, i will never forget, that method of fishing will be ruin of us all they want banning the sooner the better, the damage the pair trawling has doon up here for white fish is deverstating it will be a better world with out that type of fishing for the sporting side and the single trawlers in the long run.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg