Pair Trawling in the Channel

Chippy

well, I'm with Prowler on this one.

I think the key thing to remember here is the word bycatch and not necessarily just dolphins. Dolphins have definately been highlighted by the conservation groups because they know they'll get a better response from jo public.

Go up to the average person on the street and tell them dolpins are being needlessly killed off our shores and most people would be/are horrified. Do the same thing but swap "dolphin" for "mullet" and they probably wouldn't care less!!

I'm just glad someone's out their giving the boats a hard time, whether it's to save fish or fin!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big cod

they said the same about lobster pots many years ago at Harwich,

In fact they said the same at Brid and had a small riot over beam trawling, with sailing boats!

I fish to live and live to fish.

Wurzel old mate i think you need a trip up here again mate, you will get a big shock mate since you were last up here, i have never been pair trawling my self but i have been single trawling many years ago when i left school soon found out not for me, but let me tell you iknow the lads who were pairings and believe me they said out of there own mouths its carnage pair trawling as much **** as you can shovel at least that was a couple of years ago, but there is very few small codling now the alarm bells are ringing big style but the horse has bolted,one or two boats are now up towing in shetlands desperation is the word

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Big Cod, these boats are pelagic pair trawlers, one of the cleanest methods of fishing going. Outside of the problems with the Bass fishery they are known for having extremely low bycatch and discard rates and doing zero damage to the seabed..

They have nothing in common with pair trawling a rockhopper set over the bottom :confused:

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Guest stevie cop

The Dolphins may well enter the nets on their own accord, but they are wild creatures and have to hunt for survival. They probably see the Bass in the nets as easy prey, that's nature. But as for only the ones in the net when it's hauled getting killed, I don't believe that's the case.

The carcasses of Dolphins washed up on the beaches display signs that they have died painful, lingering deaths. Broken bills and teeth where they have tried to escape. Don't forget these animals are mammals. If they can't come up for air, they drown the same as me and you. If they were in the net and wanted air, they would just swim out if it was their choice to do so. If they were in the net as it was being hauled, they would still be alive when they hit the decks.

Apparently, there is a video somewhere of Dolphins being caught by pair trawlers. There was a lot of controversy about it at the time when it was taken, and it hasn't seen the light of day. Can anyone shed any light on this?

[ 14. March 2005, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Steve Coppolo ]

It would be nice to see some real evidence Steve; some of the things being said by Greenpeace just don't add up.

That team Greenpeace have be picking on , the Ocean Crest and Ocean Star, are being accused of being seen to have killed 150 dolphins last year yet the only figure I've for the entire UK fleet last year was 163 or so. Anyone got a link to figures from someone less inclined to spin and lies than greenpeace?

Also does anyone know which of the Scots teams are trialling the new ways to avoid dolphin capture?

If its the Ocean Crest/Star and the research is screwed up by Greenpeace it would be ironic.

[ 14. March 2005, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: Jaffa ]

Jaffa i know what what pelagic fishing is and i kwow what rockhopping is , what my argument is the method of pair trawling it is to deadley we dont just live for today what about tommorow if you have the industry at heart i am sure you would agree peiagic fishing for bass or pairing for whitefish this method needs stopping even the guys who single trawl curse the pair teams they say follow the a pair team and you wont get a fry that method is bad news agree

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

I can see a very good case for stopping Bass pair trawling - the SW economy would be better off without it being one of the biggest.

Pair trawling for mackeral and herring is a good fishing method though and they have done a good job of sticking to quotas; those stocks are healthy in general.

I have no problem with it at all.

Demersal pair trawl I'd happily see stopped for the reasons you say.

I have only heard of one defanant reportof a mamal being caught in a net, that was a large male seal. It was caught in a fleet of herring nets by John Rawle when he turned from charted skipper to commercial and ran a boat called the Swin Ranger. He then went back to being a charter boat skipper after a short while. The seal was dead....

There are probably more mamales caught but its kept quiet,,,,

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

pair trawling has however done its bit to the dimise of our eels in the Blackwater over the years..

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!