Keeping Sandeel alive

Many amongst us will know about keeping sandeel alive without aireators and buckets of water.

For those who dont,take a small Coleman cool box,and place a large freezer block in the bottom,soak a news paper in water untill sopping wet,let it drain,then fold untill about 2 inches thick,cover the ice pack with it.

you can keep Sandeel alive allday like this.

remember to replace the lid every time. :)

If you dont catch fish,you can always dry the paper out and have a read :D:D:D

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sanctuary:

is it legal to net sand eels or do you need a licence for your own use? where can you buy sand eel nets? thanks :)

You can buy a proper ready rigged sandeel net from South West Nets in Penzance for under £300 (big downloadable price list too). Or a cheapy seine net mail order from various USA locations (I paid $50), or make your own. You dont need a license for hand operated nets for recreational use, only nets you leave alone to fish (gill or trammel nets) or tow behind a powered craft.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

santuary.

Tap or salt water ,dosnt make any difference.

Lay the eels on top of the paper,about 2 doz no more,you will have the odd dead one or two,throw those out,as soon as you spot them.

Salar,has answered your other questions,thaks Salar.

Traffic Cone??.....sounds like you can help me with that one.

I used to trawl for mine when I had my boat,had a small set of doors and a seine net,I never sold ells,always gave them to friends who wernt lucky enough to have a boat.

Cheers :)

Get a traffic cone and fix a removable net over the wide end. Tie a big knot in a length of rope and thread thro the narrow end from the indside. Fill the cone with eels and attatch the end of the rope to a stern cleat. Throw the lot over and tow behind the boat, the eels will stay fresh all day. The cone protects them when travelling. For those who don't have a live well on the boat it is a cheap and reliable method of keeping them alive.

A live bucket - variation on the cone idea - along with some various traps Crabbing and Fishing Supplies. Probably easier to get a bait when you need it without others escaping and designed to be towed.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I fish with launce as a live bait most days for the Pollack.

Don't know about other areas but here they tend to congregate in back eddies around headlands,or fast flowing sand banks

Glasgow angling centre stock Sabiki rigs on size 7 hooks which work superb for them. On a good day can catch them like mackerel,4 or 5 at a time. Shrimp rigs also work well.

Mothercare and other shops now have shopping nets instead of baskets, hung over the side, they make a great keep net which will keep them alive all day. For short journeys up to half an hour they will stay alive in a bucket of fresh seawater. Any bleeding ones will kill all so keep the water clean at first

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Yak - the bucket in my link should be ideal for use from a kayak.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Newt,

had a look at your link,yep that would do nicely.

Had a look at the Plano Site,they have one very simular to the turbo,that you show.

The turbo looks smaller,but big enough for my little plastic log

Have you seen what your countryman do for live bait wells in thier yaks??

Clever stuff huh.

Cheers newt :)