Keeping Sandeel alive

To keep them alive for at least 24 hours away from a source of fresh sea water I have found the best way is to bag them in Oxygen. Take a bin bag sized bag and put up to 40 eels in along with 3 pints of sea water. Squeeze out all the air and reinflate with Oxygen, either medical grade if you can get it or welders oxygen. When you get to the beach or your mark on a boat open the bag and put them into one of the ready made creels, traffic cone, mothercare bag or whatever and dunk them in the sea.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Macky thats a good Idea but how big a bucket before your arm falls off carrying it lol. Thanks for the information every one but I still would like to know the easiest way to catch then from the boat using some form of cheap net method, £300 is a bit to much. I seem to remember reading on a web site that the traffic cone was used to catch the sand eels but it did not explain how. I once saw a bloke walking in the surf pushing a contrapion with a broom handle back wards and forwards through the sand with a net attached like a shrimp net, tied to make some thing similar but my wood working skills meant it lasted all of 2 seconds before it fell apart and I was left with a bunch of seaweed. do they make and sell shrimp nets or are they all home made. I really would like to be able to catch my own so that I can catch my first bass for some reason over all the years I have been sea fishing shore/boat I have been unable to catch a Bass. Peolpe have been pulling them out stood next to me by the dozen used the same bait tackle as them but the bass just seem to ignore me :mad: Thanks Bassless

Make a Vingler from an old carving knife, you can flick them out of the sand with one of these, get enough for a days fishing in half an hour and a lot cheaper than a net.

The traffic cone used to catch eel is rigged on a bridle to tow behind the boat wide end first. the narrow end is blocked with some net to close it off, it is a bit hit and miss.

sanctuary - if it is a form of net, These folks probably sell it and for a decent price.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

a vingler is very simalar to a filleting knife but on the end of the blade the steel bends round to form a hook

run it through the sand about 6 inch deep and u should flick out live eels

You grind most of the blade away leaving 1/2 inch at the end to stick out at 90 degrees to the blade. You use it in a slicing motion cutting the sand towards your free hand and trapping the eel betreen the blade and your hand. Wear a thick glove on your hand as weavers like the same teritory aas the eels.

It is a lot easier to do than to describe. :confused: