Can I Sell My Fish

sam-cox

Does any one know the exact law concerning the sale of fish whether caught from powerd vessel, un-powered vessel, or from the shore.

Leon has said that as long as its not from a powered vessel a fish can be sold with out any kind of lisence. So as far as I can asitain the only law broken by anglers who sell thier catch could be tax evasion.

Are thre any known cases of anglers selling boat caught fish being prosacuted.

If nobody does know I wonder what would happen if I tried to sell my bass with no lisence, may be auction a stone on E-bay as a test case....

I feel it is important for clarity hear as fish sold by anglers put the price of lisenced fishermans catches down puting more pressure on the fish as more are needed.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand you DO need a licence to sell your catch. If you sell to a wholesaler they need a licence to purchase.

Watching Screaming Reels this evening and they were discussing this very matter.

Andrew Boyd

Totally illegal for anyone - I mean ANYONE to sell fish of any kind from the sea without a licence! I think a fine up to £2000.00 can be given... But do not quote me on that figure...

Any fish caught over the minimum limit can be eaten my themselves and their family ONLY!!! BUT I STRESS CANNOT BE SOLD or EXCHANGED FOR GAIN!

Clive

BassMan - The holder of Possibly Very Good Catches - Luv to fish from Yaks!!!!

Have you the legal paper work that states this Main BassMan, as I think you may be incorect.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Recreational Anglers do not sell fish, they fish for recreation.

Commercial fishermen catch fish for sale.

Some commercial fisherman catch their fish using a hook and line.

If a person catches a fish for sale, using a hook and line, they are a commercial fisherman, not a recreational angler.

We need to be clear on this as the netters, and their Sea Fisheries Committees, wish to place restrictions on all anglers because they are losing markets to unlicensed commercial rod and line fishermen.

If they succeed, then it will be illegal for any angler to be in possesion of (say) two fish caught on his rod and line, yet next to him is an unlicensed netter, in possession of as many fish as he can net, perfectly legally.

Please do not refer to commercial rod and line fishermen as anglers it confuses, and is used to besmirch recreational anglers.

Tight Lines - leon

[ 26. January 2005, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

This info has come from 2 seperate Charter Boat owners and several places in the past from acticles I have read from the Fisheries Board etc

I do not lie.......... Clive

BassMan - The holder of Possibly Very Good Catches - Luv to fish from Yaks!!!!

Clive - no one said anything about a lie. But most of us on here have posted things that were not correct even though we thought they were.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

MainBassMan:

This info has come from 2 seperate Charter Boat owners and several places in the past from acticles I have read from the Fisheries Board etc

I do not lie.......... Clive

er, What's a 'Fisheries Board'?

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

The fact is Leon some people angle for profit, I used to regualy sell my bass to local resturants until I was told that by doing so I was making it hard for my friend to sell his bonefied fish.

I think anglers should have a bag limit like some trout fisheries. I dont think others realise just how many bass are caught and sold by un lisenced rod and line fisherman its a very large amout.Inow only take a few fish per trip for the pot Im not gready. When I used to sell my catch the greed soon set in as money was involved. I could sometimes add one hundred pounds a week to my wages catching and selling bass, to a 20 year old boy one 200 quid a week this was not bad.

I now understand why that was a bad thing and stopped about 6 years ago, although I have sold bass for my friend that is a bonefied commercial fisherman when I have worked with him. This has now stopped as to many un lisenced rod and line caught fish are being sold localy for 1.50 per pound and we could not compete.

May be the lisence will have a clause that states that buy purchesing the lisence you are agreeing not to sell your catch.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.