Can I Sell My Fish

sam-cox

MainBassMan:

This info has come from 2 seperate Charter Boat owners and several places in the past from acticles I have read from the Fisheries Board etc

I do not lie.......... Clive

Problem is I have seen 2 Hansard reports that suggest otherwise also read this open letter from Malcom Gilbert... http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/article16.htm

"My understanding is that to sell fish captured from an unlicensed vessel (regardless of method) is illegal and punishable with fines up to £50,000. Incidentally, to sell any fish (including bass) that have been captured from the shore is, to the best of my knowledge, not illegal."

Remind me to phone Defra in morning :)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not the case that any of us lie on hear, more a case of opinions getting taken as facts when in fact they are often just ones point of view.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Thats why I asked if any one had any legalpaper work on this subject.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Good luck with DEFRA I heard they do not speek English.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

In the UK our legal system works on the basis that, unless an activity is specifically legislated against, it is legal (common law).

(Unlike continental Napoleonic law that says that any activity is illegal unless specific permission has been given to make it legal)

Therefore you are unlikely to find any official legal source that says that it is legal to sell fish if caught from the shore!

Though you will find reference to it being illegal to sell fish caught from an unlicensed powered vessel.

Tight Lines - leon

[ 26. January 2005, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

MainBassMan:

Ministry of Agriculure and Fisheries - SORRY MY SLIGHT LOSS OF TITLE!!!!

MAFF haven't been around for some while now!

Their functions have been taken over by DEFRA ( http://www.defra.gov.uk ).

Tight Lines - leon

[ 26. January 2005, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

why take fish at all? i am an angler i do it for the pleasure/thrill etc i dont kill anything if i can help it, the only way to differentiate between us and commercials is to not take fish, simple, end of story.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

I happern to enjoi eat sea fish, I dont take to many, I enjoi releasing them to espeshally roker as they look so pritty gliding off..its greedy to take to many i think 3 bass is far.

I dont like tench though so i put them all back.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.