All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. 4lb 13oz from a trout ressie on a fly - loads of usual arguments raging online as to whether its a true roach - thoughts anyone? https://www.facebook.com/carsingtonwaterflyfishery https
  3. More good news. The blackbirds have had a successful hatch. A young one flew into our patio door and stunned itself for a moment or two. I went out to check it out and it flew up onto the compost bin, so seems OK. Newt spawning seems to be slowing so I expect most will leave the pond at the next rainy night to search for food as there isn't enough for the large amount of adults as it's a new pond with not much natural food in it. If they stay and get hungry the hatched tadpoles will be dinner. Nature can be cruel.
  4. Last week
  5. The last one I bought was about four years ago and is a Xiaomi. It does what I need, but it's hardly current tech. I tend to treat stuff like this as disposable. Most will let you play videos and access the web without any issues. Edit: Just be sure to decide weather you want to use a SIM, or just wifi before you buy.
  6. Ken can you recommend a good alternative cheap (but good) android tablet? Thanks Keith
  7. This is the only forum (so far) that I'm having problems with when using my iPad. I don't have any problems when I access the FishingMagic or the MaggotDrowners forums. I've had the same problem before but Elton solved my problem the last time it happened. My iPad is no longer supported or updated by Apple which I think is probably my problem. Although I can still access this forum I just can't reply or create a post using my iPad. NB: I can't open my virgin email using my dated iPad either. I can use my laptop but because I don't regularly use it I have to wait for it to perform updates for several minutes before I can open the forum. So using my mobile using a stylus is my quickest way to reply or create a new post on this forum. I was thinking of getting the missus to buy me a new iPad or a new android pad which would solve my problem. Keith
  8. A modern android pad will work fine ,most of the problem is the android version can no longer function for some apps.My old pad could no longer use the 'Capta' (the things that asks you to tick on cars or crossings etc to verify your a human) so signing in on some things impossible . Used it to put games on for grandkids and bought an up to date one. Never owned an apple device ,the knowledge that you dont own it (as in the company can remove its service anytime)and its deliberately programmed to fail if they want it to over the air via updates should make people very wary ,saying that my sister loves hers and her job revolves around it is another side of the story.Another naughty thing is some of their tech only works with the latest phone forcing you to hand over a grand just to use their watch ! Never understood using a mobile phone to browse the web either ,you must be missing a great deal using that rather than a 10 or 12" tablet and that onscreen keypad is so tiny aswell my fat fingers enter the wrong letters on this pad as it is lol
  9. England and Kent spinner Underwood dies aged 78
  10. Cheap Android tablets work just as well as an i-pad, but I much prefer a PC plugged into the TV and a wireless keyboard.
  11. I can still post on other forums (so far) Keith
  12. I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and spend some cash on a new iPad. Keith
  13. I've often wanted to post on here however my iPad can no longer post on here (as it is no longer supported by Apple) . So I'm having to post using my mobile phone or get my old laptop to post which is a bit of a pain in the backside. Anyone else having to do this because of their aging iPad? Keith
  14. Perhaps a whole body botox would be nice ? Not sure i get your drift though bacon can be made without additives i used to sell half pigs thats only additive was smoke . Perhaps the nitrite side isnt for safety but to give the excuse to inject the water that carries it ,more water more profit . A top tip to see how much water is injected into your food is to freeze it and see how much free water there is when defrosted ,a pack of sliced ham has a great deal ,more water more profit . Are nitrites needed at all or just an excuse ,parma ham is pork theres no additives apart from salt and it hangs about for months .Bacon lives in fridges so less chance of toxins in the short time between killing and eating the most dangerous bit would be the £2.50 an hour romanians that produce it gobbing on it, nitritaes aint going to protect you from that hazard. On retrospect £2.50 could be the manager of the run down factories wage !
  15. The sodium nitrite is what stops you getting a whole body botox.
  16. Not my favourite my gran on my dads side (a genuine cockney) offered it but one bite later i gave it back .Dripping not so bad we still use it for frying although the over the counter version is a sad bland relation nearer lard in constitution. Drew the line at jellied eels as well my mothers side of me probably had inbuilt dislike of sucking bones in my mouth to get a morsal of meat ,remove the meat from the bone ..fine! There seems to be this correlation though in the video to oils but lifestyle has changed aswell .Back then you chose what went in your food and today unless you cook like they did in the past the foods pumped full of poison whether you want it or not.Take bacon theres no need at all for nitites or nitrates being injected into it (mostly to bulk it up and make it weigh more (nitrates? Is now gone) bacon can be made without any additives other than smoke but those with low incomes cannot afford that so they eat what they can get.Why the need for sugar or salt in products leave it out and leave it up to the consumer to add it if they want ,same for half of the additives are they really needed or just there to make processing cheaper by innjecting taste into food like chicken stock cubes to make chicken taste like chicken because its so bland today as the chickens rarely eat natural food. I predict in a short while additive(s) X or Y will suddenly will found to be killing millions because governments cannot be arsed to look after people checking the science behind it.Most probably they already know and brown envelopes and greed keep them quiet ,why would they care so long as they can afford the expensive clean stuff (probably on expenses) Could explain this suddenly strange world we now inhabit somethings causing it perhaps something put in the food or water to dissolve the brain so we can be controlled easier but going by the recent demonstrations its back fired and the bit of the brain that controls common sense and the realisation of consequence of your actions has dissolved away and the idiot bit amplified.
  17. Dear lord, are fats now confused about their gender too?
  18. Can't beat a bit of "Mucky Fat" (Pork dripping & brown jelly bits) from the butchers shop, spread thin on sliced bread with a sprinkling of salt. One of my "Guilty Pleasures". Fold it in half like a Jam Buttie. T'was also, favourite fayre for Pub games nights.
  19. Earlier
  20. Mostly it uses rise of obesity ,heart disease agaist rise of uses of seed oils .interesting bits about different types of food intake ,high fat diet ,high carb diet people having perfect body type because they dont use oils in their diets . Japanese diets where japanese are gaining weight despite using less sugar and still rising as oil use rises compared to less bad things traditionally pointed at as things that make you put on weight. The only other reason not mentioned is the burning of calories ,i have always been suspicious of the 2,500 calory bit, is it based on victorian men beating in rivets on ships 18 hours a day or office workers typing or today in more sedentary work? .Perhaps the total calorie intake of modern man should be reduced to 1500 calories to take less strenuous work of modern times. There is also heavy pressure from food manufacturers to force scientists to ignore science ,one lot of scientists funded by industry calling anyone not supporting or countering their version of science as "deniers" just like scientists that point out the flaws in climate change are are called "deniers" in an effort to get them ignored and even despised and their version of reality hidden. All the time money rules manufacturers will say anything to get money ,we should look at the lies from the past but money wins and the world suffers through greed and the unwillingness of governments to stop it. One company was asked about something (would have to look again to pin it down) to prove their product wasnt bad for the user they said they could only find 'poor ' research and not enough to prove anything ,infact 43 bits of research disproved what they said .It seems they can say anything and its rare any third party actually looks to see if its true ,its just excepted as true because they said it. They dont give a damn if its lies just like the post office didnt give a damn knowing full well their system was faulty ,only when people looked into it did things change .
  21. OJ Simpson, NFL star cleared in ‘trial of the century’, dies aged 76
  22. Butter is definitely a healthier option than margarine, with it's hydrogenated (trans) fats. Been watching the seed oil thing gain momentum for a while, although I haven't really done a deep dive. Does the video go into why they are "bad", or does it just do a general waffle about them being "inflammatory"?
  23. I had the suspicion palm oil was suspect but like lots of our supposed good for you stuff its probably pushed (probably retracted ,definately top of the list ) by those that make them . For those with heart conditions animal fat is a no-no and margerine pushed as a alternative good for you ,lard is suggested as bad and oil good butgoing by this its the opposite .I for one use dripping but do use olive oil in bread once my stock has gone it will change! Ofcourse oil is pushed as good for you on all the bottles ! Remember smoking was good how times change ! Hopefully those in power will restrict oil in food . Bad things .....Sugar little or no control over that besides raw materials unfortunately . Salt no control over that besides raw materials although my mrs has to use it and take electrolites as her body has low salt (when will that be found wrong?) Confused about flour though one of the tribes has a very high carb intake and seems fine . Oil no control other than looking for palm oil (now if its true any seed oil!)which could be hidden by not showing it in the ingrediants Plant sterols ? More evidence they are bad for you than safe ! The stats he shows are shocking ,we are far sicker than we were in the past we should be improving not declining. Now LDL is being questioned is low good ? We wait to hear ! (Ofcourse the statin suppliers will object its making money flogging pills supposed to lower it!) BMJ 2015 "the more the men lowered their cholesterol the more likely they were to die from cardiovascular death" strange its never mentioned .The USA dietry guidlines say low fat is good with STRONG evidence was revealed only 7 of the results of clinical trials proved this the other 93% didnt find evidence to support it
  24. I went out the garden to get new filters for my water filter. I will wait for a bit of sun to change them .It takes about an hour to steralise it and that wind has a cold bite .Cant do it indoors its rather a watery episode .
  25. Ken L

On me bike.

Cold, windy and wet. I think I'll put off my tench foray until next week.
  26. Ken L

On me bike.

They can't catch the kids that are causing havoc on electric scramblers, so I don't think I've got too much to worry about unless I'm doing 40kph up a hill without pedalling, and they come up behind me. Of the two listed, I like that the Shengmilo only has 3" tyres, but I hate those forks, and I don't really like rear suspension. The Burchda has nice forks and is a solidly built hardtail, but those big 4" tyres are going to attract unwanted attention. I'm still looking for the perfect combination.
  27. This one got missed! Dennis Flack – was a famous mini-species record hunter – in 1998 held 4 British records simultaneously (Bleak, Bitterling, Silver Bream & 3 Spined Stickleback – the Bleak & Bitterling records still stand) – a feat no single angler has ever achieved. The one record he really wanted eluded him however. He is credited with catching over 100 dace over 1lb many mere drams from the British Record – including two 1lb 4oz fish on the same day (when the record was 1lb 4oz & 8 drms). He once caught a dozen 1lb+ dace in a single session – a jaw dropping achievement. An interview with him in Waterlog in 2002 called him ‘Dennis The Dace Man’, a fitting epithet. Dennis died on 12th Dec 2023 – he was 92. See also: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/things-to-do/fishing/blogs-articles-and-news/the-fisheries-and-angling-team/dennis-flack-a-living-legend
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

We and our partners use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences, repeat visits and to show you personalised advertisements. By clicking “I Agree”, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. However, you may visit Cookie Settings to provide a controlled consent.