Channel Crossing

Moonyaker

We got onto the subject of swimming the channel at lunch today and it occured to me that it might be possible with a good degree of planning and the right tide, conditions and Yak to paddle The Channel to France and that this might be a challenging thing to do and something to aspire to. Probably more difficult than catching a 200lb Porbeagle from a yak but this section of the forum is not known for its sanity. Just an idea, could raise some dosh for a good cause at the same time.

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

Funny enough I was thinking about a charity event yesterday.

I thought about a paddle/fishathon round the Isle of Wight over a long weekend.

Forgot to take me medicine!

If we did the channel we could nick some of the french fish for a change.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

We got onto the subject of swimming the channel at lunch today and it occured to me that it might be possible with a good degree of planning and the right tide, conditions and Yak to paddle The Channel to France and that this might be a challenging thing to do and something to aspire to. Probably more difficult than catching a 200lb Porbeagle from a yak but this section of the forum is not known for its sanity. Just an idea, could raise some dosh for a good cause at the same time.

I reckon it would be EASY in the right conditions.

I crewed a small yacht from Aldernay to portsmouth on a sea that was like glass with clear blue skies and not a breath of wind. We had to motor the whole way - cost a mint in diesel :(

We did see a shark cruising along though :)

Watch out for the bloody container ships - they crack on at a fair whack, dont give much heed to the 'rules of the road' and the channel is the busiest stretch of water on the planet.

count me in.

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Lots of fitness training, a safety boat on call and a period of settled weather and its certainly possible. I've heard of sea kayakers in their sit in sides paddling to Cherbourg. That kind of trip is not for me but if it was I'd take a long & fast sit-on-top kayak.

The Isle of Wight has been paddled by sea kayakers in under 24 hours so a 2 day event for a sit on top could be possible. Would have to suss the tides and boat traffic first though. I've held off paddling over to Isle of Wight from Hurst point until I have a yak thats faster and more sea worthy.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

I think I know just the Yak for it. ;)

Get the timing right could use the tides to our advantage.

The channel sounds fun though, might take a bit of organising as you would need a support boat.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

I.O.W. yes but channel no -I'll put me tin hat on now!

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph