Kayak Chariots

Simon Everett

Having tried putting the pictures of the Eckla and new C-Tug trollies up for you to compare ansd see some of the issues that you need to consider before buying/making a trolley.

The new C-Tug provides a huge amount of support on the hull - not spots with weight on them due to poor fitting.

I only got the small, lightweight Eckla - it is very ligt and stows nicely and for touring would be the one I would take for those reasons. BUT for going over rough ground, stoney beaches or sand for that matter the wider tyres and better support of the plastic one is much superior.

If you are making a trolley, think of the support factor, not just the wheels! The scupper hole locating trolley has served well on the P13 without problems - it might be worth trying to put some load spreading on it though.

Right, my private picture poster is about to put up the pictures that I can't because even at 640x480 pixels they are too big! I can't make them any smaller. So, over to you now Speciman......

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon its not just you having problems adding an attachment. Mine were rejected too despite being under 100k. Anyway have uploaded them to some webspace so I can embed them here.

assembled.jpg

dismantled.jpg

prowler.jpg

scupper.jpg

twoinone.jpg

wheel.jpg

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Right - i had better explain the pictures a bit. Thank you for putting them up Simon, I don't understand all this hyfalooting nonsense (I can't spell either!)

Speciman has done a wonderful job of putting them side by side to show the points beautifully:

The Eckla sits on the main keel of the kayak, with quite concentrated loading and not a huge amount of suport - narrow spacing on the kayak suport so it is less stable.

Notice how wide the support of the C-Tug is with its much bigger load bearing bunks. Not only does it spread the load better, but it sirts wider on the kayak giving a much more stable platform to wheel - no more toppling off the side on banks or going over buried stones on footpaths.

Everything on the plastic trolley is self contained too - the wheels are retained by captive R-clips - you can't lose them (but you could possibly lose a wheel if you didn't snap them down properly, they need to be sent fully home). The straps are broad and are attached permenantly to the bunks. Like the little aluminium one, there is a prop stand - which you must remember to pick up before you go off - or it will catch on the ground. That is the same with the Eckla though.

That's it really - it illustrates the wide support and load spreading of the new trolley. Now I just have to arrange a commison basis for royalties from the New Zealand manufacturer!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

If anyones interested (if building), i've just found what look like the exact wheels used on the eckla on ebay for 5.99 per wheel + postage at £4

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-WHEEL-pneumatic-3...bayphotohosting

iz from North Devon - Prowler 13 - Travel light, keep 'em tight - ooh!

2007 Catches: Sea Trout 3/4 lb,.........

2007 Endeavours: Investigate the estuary

MyFishingKayak.co.uk

Speciman - time to disassemble and reassemble about 1 minute - because I dropped a wheel and had to chase it!

Weight - heavier than the aluminium one certainly, about 4 - 5 lbs I would guess. No scales handy at the moment. It will be interesting to see how accurate my guesstimate is! Maybe all those 4- 5 lb fish were really double figure monsters!!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

The C Tug Looks Ideal

Where from and How much? any info appreciated

www.aberporthholidays.co.uk