Pipefish phenomenon

The doctor

Until relatively recent times the predominant pipefish present along this stretch of coast was the lesser pipefish (Syngnathus rostellatus), these where commonly caught at low water in shrimp nets and for a 10 minute tow/push you could expect on average to see 1/2 a dozen. We commonly caught them in surveys along with the very occasional greater pipefish (Syngnathus acus) but they were the only two species we ever saw or recorded. Then a couple of years ago we started to see more species, the snake pipefish (Entelurus aequoreus) and worm pipefish (Nerophis lumbriciformis), in conjunction with this increase in diversity I noticed a decline in the abundance of the lesser pipefish which appeared to be significantly less abundant. The majority of pipefish species are in general terms inshore, or more specifically nearshore species', which is why I was surprised to see a pipefish at the surface when we out fishing a wreck 30 miles off last Saturday. However, the snake pipefish is considered to be more open water orientated in its distribution, which is why I'd be interested to determine the species type or range of species present.

The obvious explosion (in terms of numbers) of pipefish is extremely interesting from an ecological point of view and could be an indicator of change or things to come. I would be interested to know if any other areas are experiencing similar high densities of pipefish and where. Similarly, I would like to know what species', are we seeing a population explosion in just a single specie or a number of species', also are cod feeding on a range of pipefish species or just one. If anyone is out and about up at Whitby or along the Yorkshire coast and they see any pipefish would they mind keeping them, freezing in a plastic bag and passing on to Glenn K (if he doesn't mind) and I'll pick them up from Glenn. Big Cod and or Darlick, if you get any pipefish that cod have spat out (in good nick) would you mind doing the same, and I'll pick up from Glenn next time we have a meeting.

There may be a number of interesting theories as to why pipefish have suddenly become so prolific, I'm not so sure that increased water temperature is the main driver. My own theory is that it may be linked to a decline in predatory fish (cod etc.). Velvet crab have increased significantly over the last few years and as a consequence the availability of crab larvae in inshore waters has increased significantly, there is anecdotal evidence that suggests that shore fish are also on the increase, blennies, gunnel and gobies etc. so there is also an increased abundance in small fish larvae. Pipefish, especially the worm pipefish feed predominantly on crab and fish larvae so there could be a link in the availability of food, which lets face is usually a pretty good driver for the successful recruitment of any fish species.

Anyway just a theory.

Fished out of Dunbar 3 weeks ago and every cod that came into the boat was stuffed with them. the ones we kept had pipefish in the gut cavitiy from fully decomposed to newly dead.

we caught fish at different marks across 4 miles of coastline and EVERY fish had been consuming them.

Cod and pollack up here at Scrabster have been stuffed with pipefish for the pasted two years. Every fish caught spews them out.

Normally at the early part of the year brittle stars are the main food scource for the cod in the north but pipefish have taken over.

Fished auchmitie on wed and all the cod ,ALL had nothing but pipefish in them too, but bunches of rag would copy this ptetty wellif you can get the real thing i rekons

All the cod we gut now are stuffed with Pipefish. The area from Dunbar, SE Scotland down to Beadnel, NE England is full of them.

Just last weekend I was out in my Kayak off Beadnel anchored up off the beach. The Pipefish were congregating under my boat in the shalow water. I reached in and pulled one out, heres a picture....

(Admin edit note: I put a smaller version of the photo in so slower internet connections can load the topic faster. Link to the original is just below it. Newt)

pipefish.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/salinitysam/pipe.jpg

I believe they are causing a problem for some sea birds. Breeding Puffins etc, are catching them to feed their young, seems ok, as there are so many out there. The problem is the calorific content of the Pipefish. They are very low in oils, in comparison to sand eels etc, and some of the sea birds are suffering from malnourishment because of this.

Neil.