What saltwater 10#

stevem

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a saltwater 10 weight for under £250.

I was thinking along the lines of the greys platinum xd ( saltwater ) or loop blue line.

Has anyone tried any of these or similar?

I have used a Greys Platinum abroad for small tarpon up to 40lb and they are superb. However, you would be a brave man to use one on a yak at £200+. A 10 weight may be over cooking it a little unless throwing huge pike flies. I fish for sea trout , pollock, and bass from a friends boat and 7-8 weight, I have also caught nile perch to 40 on it, and at £50 it is perfect. ;)

What about the Fulling Mill Gold 4 piece #10 weight? it is available for around £100.

I use the 8# model and have taken Tarpon to 10lbs (babies), and i have heard good things about the heavier model. They come with a limited lifetime warranty and that can't be bad.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a saltwater 10 weight for under £250.

I was thinking along the lines of the greys platinum xd ( saltwater ) or loop blue line.

Has anyone tried any of these or similar?

Hi

I have a GRX 8/9# and think it is a great rod for the money £80 - £90 :thumbs:

HTH

Tom

Kayaks:

Scupper Pro TW (yellow)

Prowler 13 angler (green)

Hi Stevem, what are you going to target with a 10 wt. For Bass on the fly from the kayak, a 6wt will provide more sport, an 8 wt if punching into the wind, there isn't the distance problem associated with fishing from land.

8/9 wt will also be fine for Pike fishing.

If your after the 10 wt for other species the best place to ask is the Fly fishing forum, Fishing Chat at the top then select the Fly Forum, nice bunch of knowledgeable guys.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Why spend 250 quid? whatever you get will get trashed, believe me, I wait for the tightlines spring clearout and get a load of their airflo presntation series rods 9' 8/9wt, three piece, with cordura rod tube, retail at 160 the knock em out at 25 quid a pop, they even have a lifetime guarantee!!! when i fel on one, i had the nerve to send it back and they replaced it!!!!!!! :yeah::yeah:

If you really have to spend £250, just buy ten of them !!!! :)

OK prowler 13a Flame

www.ukbass.co.uk

Sea Anglers Conservation Network

Why spend 250 quid? whatever you get will get trashed, believe me, I wait for the tightlines spring clearout and get a load of their airflo presntation series rods 9' 8/9wt, three piece, with cordura rod tube, retail at 160 the knock em out at 25 quid a pop, they even have a lifetime guarantee!!! when i fel on one, i had the nerve to send it back and they replaced it!!!!!!! :yeah::yeah:

If you really have to spend £250, just buy ten of them !!!! :)

Overpriced at £25.

What about the Lefty Kreh Series One 9ft #10 - 2 piece. though the 9# would be more versatile.

It's avalable from: http://www.anglingclassics.co.uk/Series_1_Fly_Rods.html

for £80 plus postage.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

What about the Lefty Kreh Series One 9ft #10 - 2 piece. though the 9# would be more versatile.

It's avalable from: http://www.anglingclassics.co.uk/Series_1_Fly_Rods.html

for £80 plus postage.

Hi all,

Apologies for the vagueness of my original question. ( I am a forum virgin )

The main reason for a 10# is for a couple of weeks holiday in cuba next feb, however I would also like to think I could use it on the yak for heavy sunk work for pollock or pike over rough ground and with a floater for casting large poppers.

A 4 piece would be my first choice for travel reasons, and £250 would be the max I would pay.

I am happy paying a lot less if someone knows of a quality rod?

The shortlist was Greys xd sw, loop blue line sw and now it looks like the fulling mill gold.

Cheers

Steve