Mackerel fishing

Zigs

The mackerel season is nearly upon us again.

Most of you will remember last years thread where we tried to spread the word on how to safely return mackerel not intended for the table.

However, for the sake of any newcomers & visitors to the site, i'd like to ask the mods if we could keep a link to the old thread pinned for the duration.

( i can picture them reading this, thinking, "oh no, not that hippy fish lover again" :D )

I'll understand if you guys don't want to leave it up for the summer, but we must have saved some fish last year.

I'd like to quote Colin Alberts' fishing records site for Mackerel

Mackerel (Scomber Scombrus)

B 6-02-07 Penberth Cove, Cornwall W J Chapple 1984

S 5-11-14 Berry Head, Brixham M A Kemp 1982

Before demanding a total dismantling of the european fishing fleet & a 10 year mackerel moratorium so that i can catch one that big. :rolleyes:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...ackerel+bashing

Update, for Gardeners Corner members visiting this thread, the link to the original thread is the one above this update. 13.01.2011

Edited by ziggy searchfield

OI OI,

Well i would like to read it as iv'e just started sea fishing & haven't got a clue what your on about ziggy all i know is if i touch them & throw them back they DIE so howay gis a clue.

:fishing1::fishing1::crazy::crazy::crazy:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

OI OI,

Well i would like to read it as iv'e just started sea fishing & haven't got a clue what your on about ziggy all i know is if i touch them & throw them back they DIE so howay gis a clue.

Nice one bill, i've just added the link to the bottom of the thread :)

erm o.k just read it thank's for that ziggy.

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

OI OI,

Dont fish - or learn how to return!!!!!!! :thumbs:

BassMan - The holder of Possibly Very Good Catches - Luv to fish from Yaks!!!!

Steady now Clive, we're trying to educate, not threaten :thumbs::)

Sorry but it really is this bloody cider!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs:

Sorry but it really is this bloody cider!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs:

Oh NO, you've not been down to Burrow hill again, i've told you about that stuff, it's not just the alcohol, its the cyanogentic glycosides that get released when the pips are crushed, it'll mess you up.

i love it too :)

Oh NO, you've not been down to Burrow hill again, i've told you about that stuff, it's not just the alcohol, its the cyanogentic glycosides that get released when the pips are crushed, it'll mess you up.

i love it too :)

i love it too :) Oh Oh danger!!!!!!!!! :wallbash:

with you on this one ziggy .all people have to do is catch what you need .try other methods for them ie float.spinner.fly fish etc appreciate there fighting qualities and save some for the future generations.

barbless hooks and try and educate the uneducated particulary .anybody going down to abbotsbury on a hot day in july and observing the casual mackerel basher is in full flow is quite shocking .pure greed at its worst.

to keep them alive is shake them off the hook without touching them.

cider and mackerel sounds like a nice combination. mmmmm

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith