Casting for Recovery UK & Ireland, the unique outdoor-based programme specifically designed for women who have, or have had, breast cancer, was delighted to be the beneficiary of funds well in excess of £15,000 thanks to London-based recruitment company Prima Principia’s recent annual charity fishing day at Dever Springs in Hampshire.
The day included fly fishing for 45 people and also a lunch auction which was extremely generously supported. The monies raised will go towards funding idyllic weekend fly fishing retreats for women who have, or have had, breast cancer.
Any woman who has experienced breast cancer is eligible to apply to attend a retreat (with medical clearance from their doctor). Retreats take place over two-and-a-half days and all accommodation, meals, counselling, and professional instruction are provided at no cost to participants largely due to the financial backing of the Countryside Alliance and all fishing equipment provided by Orvis.
Craig Vidler of Prima Principia explains, “I first started organising fly fishing days in 1991 and this year we celebrated our 19th event. Over the years we have raised well over £100,000 for charity and this year we are proud to support Casting for Recovery UK & Ireland. The Predictive Index, Market Connections, DCP Limited and this year, Retail Human Resources were also generous supporters of this year’s event. Fly fishing instruction and guiding was provided by Peter Cockwill of Albury Game Angling.
The UK and Ireland Programme Co-ordinator is Sue Hunter, who recovered from breast cancer to become an international gold medallist fly fisher. She was at Dever Springs to support the event and accept the donation and commented: “Casting for Recovery is still a new and groundbreaking initiative in the UK and Ireland, and every penny really does count. The money raised by Prima Principia will make a huge difference to many women and I would like to thank Craig and everyone who has supported the event for their wonderful generosity, I am overwhelmed at the positive reaction to CfR’s aims.”
• Ladies interested in joining a retreat should email Sue Hunter at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Sue at: Casting for Recovery UK & Ireland, PO Box 3611, Slough, Berkshire, SL3 3BY
• Places at retreats are allocated by ballot and are subject to medical clearance.
• More information on CfR is available at www.castingforrecovery.org.uk
• Forthcoming retreats for 2008 are:
- 19th - 21st September 2008, Brookhall Trout Fishery, Lisburn, Co. Antrim (open to applications until 23rd June, 2008)
- 28-30 September 2008 – Duncton Mill Retreat, Petworth, West Sussex (open to applications until 23rd June, 2008)