Pick your fish to introduce to the UK.

Stefan

Ah, wouldn't be considered suitable, some git has illegally stocked carp in it. And there may be a couple of genetically dubious fish in there from a previous stocking.

How about this for a killer bleak? Chanodichthys erythropterus is another Asian species that ranges from Siberia and mongolia down to Vietnam.

It grows to 30lb and is variously referred to as the Skygazer or Predatory Carp.

Looks like a quite a few fish that one, first one that sprang to mind was an Asp.

He's got a very direct method of playing and landing fish on the go there.

Not sure I'd be so quick to swing in a fish of that size!

I'd love to fish somewhere like Mongolia!

Edited by dant

The asp is a fine fish and frankly, I'm amazed nobody has done anY dodgy importing. They're getting rare in their native range but introductions into Holland and Sweden are apparently thriving and extremely popular with anglers.

As for Mongolia, apparently, the Taimen have taken a hammering but the Lenok, Altai Osman, Grayling and Amur Pike are still about - although better fishing for all of them is available in Siberia.

I must admit, I always fancied a trip to that part of Russia and thought it might have been an option for a while when I had a Russian girlfriend - but alas, it didn't last and I never made a trip.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

An asp was caught from a fishery somewhere on the eastern side of the country a few months ago.

Interesting. Was it reported on-line? I can't find any record and I'd expect the EA to jump up and down and stamp their little feet more over something like an Asp than they do with topmouth gudgeon or sunbleak.

Meanwhile, Takifugu obscurus is a species that the Signal Crayfish fans would just love. It would have no difficulty whatever chomping the biggest and toughest of crayfish - and it lives in the Korean peninsular (including north Korea) which isn't well known for it's mild winters.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

The size of the mouth, the pointed pelvic fin with a concave edge and what looks like a long anal fin all make it being an Asp a real possibility.

Ide are a bit of a joke. They are stocked into one of my local fisheries where I caught my only one to date. That fishery is basically a hole dug out of a swamp on the floodplain of the Worcestershire Stour and is less than 4km from the Stour's junction with the Severn. I guess we now have Ide as part of out fish fauna whether we like it or not.

I would introduce rock salmon, as long as there was a chippie nearby :roll1:

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not