Pick your fish to introduce to the UK.

Stefan

I reckon we should introduce literally everything including ornamentals into as many lakes as possible because that's what anglers want and it's just satisfying demand. When we get the next floods and they hop over into the river systems, don't worry - nature will find a balance :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I reckon we should introduce literally everything including ornamentals into as many lakes as possible because that's what anglers want and it's just satisfying demand. When we get the next floods and they hop over into the river systems, don't worry - nature will find a balance :rolleyes:

Wow! What a novel idea Andrew.

I'm surprised no one's thought of that.

Bet there's a few bob to made for those who do it. :rolleyes::whistling:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Wow! What a novel idea Andrew.

I'm surprised no one's thought of that.

Bet there's a few bob to made for those who do it. :rolleyes::whistling:

John.

I like to think of myself as a retrospective visionary :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• 2 months later...

I remember reading an old book which stated that a huge Sturgeon of 200lb was caught in the Thames donkeys years ago and was taken and sold at Billingsgate fish market. they were also regularly recorded in the severn and other rivers.

I also found this on another website.

On the 25th Sept 1933, on the White Mill stretch of the river Towey, Camarthenshire, Mr A.L. Allen was fishing for sea-trout when he hooked and, after a what must have been a stupendous battle, landed a Royal Sturgeon of 388lb. It was 9ft 2ins long and had a girth of 59ins

The Royal Sturgeon was once native to the UK but was wiped out by man. I wish they still lived in our larger rivers. I bet they would give a good account of themselves.

However we only have the small varieties today that have been artificially introduced into some commercial fisheries.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I was always fascinated by a fish, in my 'Freshwater fishes of Britain and Europe', called the Asp: looks like a chub, grows a lot bigger, eats fish, frogs, ducklings etc. I expect that, now so many people do go fishing on the continent, somebody on this forum may have caught one...?

I have caught ASP both in Latvia and Sweden, on live bait and on lures in lakes, hard fighting fish, bit like a chub with teeth, would be a great addition to the British fresh water.

I also caught a fish locally called Vimba, in Latvia, don't suppose anyone has any idea what it might be called in English!, The fins were different colors depending on the time of year, pink finks in spring with gold flecks, a really good looking fish generally silver in colure. It was also very good to eat. Mainly caught when float fishing, I have caught these fish up to 4lb, great sport and very lively would love them in the UK

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

• 1 month later...

You guys are all plumping for Salties. Vundu would happily live in the Broads, or even in the Severn, for that matter. One for the "ponds" would be a Member of the Tilapia family found in South Africa called Kurpa, you get two species, common and red breasted. Vegetarians and mouth breeders - grow to about 4lb and are GREAT fighters!!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription