Why not Carp??

me

Jesus Poledark, calm down!

The thread began with a suggestion that all fishing being Carp fishing would be no bad thing. I totally disagree, and as such made my point that there are other pleasures that I would NEVER want to lose. I was NOT radomly attacking Carp anglers nor their chosen quarry / preference.

I am perfectly aware that there are dedicated anglers to all species and that they are far more skillful than I will ever hope to be.

At the same time there is a proliferation of waters where a total novice could catch a netful of fish without thinking. THAT is what I no longer (yes I have done it alot) enjoy, and that was the point I was trying to make.

I was trying to get across "each to their own". Clearly this was misinterpreted.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carp Lakes never really produce the question "where are the fish?", they are usually just about 1 metre in front of you. But the strange custom on a carp lake seems to be that the chap 100m opposite you is the only one allowed to cast to this spot. You have to cast within 1 metre of his peg.

I used braid on a 2+lb tc and a microfloat in the water by my feet. I was told that this was not real fishing?? My rather unfashionable view was that because I was getting the bites and some fish I could consider it as fishing. The bait needed considerable patience from my neighbours, worm with worm flavouring in liquidised bread n maggot. I mean what was wrong in that?

I am very sorry but when I go fishing along the river I have not got the time to set up bivvies, set recliners, read books, watch telly or change into slippers. One false move on my part means that I will be totally alone in that swim. Carp lakes just dont give that thrill of moving water swashing over the top of your waders either.

Apart from that they are Ok for the close season. But even then the trout lakes are a bit more exciting. Carp fishing is a bit like watching paint dry. Well it is a thrill to finally catch something, I expect to those who enjoy 48 hr shifts, anything would be nice.

I am saving all that still excitement for the day when I am not mobile. I expect I will also be able to plug the bite alarm into my hearing aid. I expect I will take a trowel and few spuds to plant, and a bit of trellis to train something nice over the bivvy.

Nah! I just enjoy hacking through the undergrowth to startle some poor chub with a worm on the previously safe side. The "Gotcha" factor goes sky high when you ground bait the bigger chub and roach out of their hidey hole in the overhanging tree. I really need the all weather suit. I have to get the brush on the end of the hose to give it a good clean. Err has anyone got an armoured version, damn brambles.

Clearly I really dont know enough about carping on.

"Muddlin' along"

Wunnus, I will have to tell my mates that they are doing it all wrong and that the carp are only 1 metre away from them....what utter twaddle...

When I barbel fished (up to 12lb) I saw no need to belitle carp angling, when I roach fished ( 2lb 2oz) I saw no need to belittle the efforts of carp anglers, when I Tench fished (9lb 4oz).....why am I bothering to write this, I am not the one with the problem.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

BB, Richard Walker, Chris Yates, John Wilson, MAtt Hayes. All great carp anglers. They are the true all round angling heros. We must not just knock all carp anglers. But there are some carp boys who seem to think that if you fish for other fish then you are a 'noddy' angler. I have met them on the bank and they just wind me up.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I really am starting to get sick of the whole idea of "serious" carp fishing. These days it is more like an exercise in logistics. I think the rot set in when people started buying separate rods and reels for the sole purpose of whacking out pva bags. I once made what I thought was a satirical post about a firm producing marker float rods. Now you can buy the bloody things!

It's as if everything has gone full circle, and the majority of carp anglers are tackled up to the hilt but fish according to the cue cards. Everyone is now chasing the same fish in the same waters, casting the same rigs onto the same features. I think the term "noddy" is now used by the "serious" carp anglers to describe somebody who isn't fishing strictly to the latest style guide. Time to do something different I think.

[ 15. January 2004, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Wow! sorry!! I didn't mean to cause a small debate or arguement it was just a small suggestion. I weren't trying to wind you all up.

Sure Fishing for perch, Roach, Rudd etc. is fun yes. But i just like catching carp. I love the feel when they're pulling so hard. So what if you loose one you still get the excitment of fighting one in...

Nathan

Genuine Taff

Probably...

Peter Sharpe:

Everyone is now chasing the same fish in the same waters, casting the same rigs onto the same features.

Well, here's one that isn't! Like Den, I'm getting a little fed-up with references to this mythical carping collective that 'all' do this, that or the other.

There are moronic carpers, sure, but the same applies to some who fish for pike, chub, barbel and perch, plus a tidy few match anglers who qualify, too.

In fact those sweeping statements, the ones without tongues in virtual cheeks, provide the REAL way to identify the hard-of-thinking.

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

calm down den! lets agree that you and nathan can do all the carp fishing you want, i'll even buy your boilies, then the rest of us can catch some proper fish.