Why not Carp??

me

Jeeps... :D:D I've caught a few of them proper fish and now I am after some "special" ones :P

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I have digs at carp anglers, it is because I am teasing. I really do have friends who are carp anglers and I make the same jokes, which I think are funny and which they tolerate with grimaces.

Not all are unthinking morons. Most are competent anglers who would be half-decent all-rounders if they defected.

The problem is obsession. Keen carp lads do get obsessed by their passion. This is well-documented in angling literature: normally sane people will devote their lives to the capture of big fish.

A friend had his heart set on a very big carp - one of the biggest in the UK, in fact. Most of his non-working hours were spent on the banks of the fishery that contained that carp.

Over a year ago, I met him for a lunchtime pint, where as usual we discussed all things fishy. And I suggested he took a break for just one night to fish a stretch of river I know well. He accepted.

Now I thought I was a pretty good carp angler, with my simple baits. In September, when it fishes at its best, I reckon on catching a 20 every other trip on "my" stretch (my trips, incidentally, lasting about five hours from 4pm to 9pm. I thought I was pretty good at catching them.

My mate's one and only session was an all-nighter. After filling it a swim with particles and boilies (he gets the latter free, because he's fairly well-known) he set about fishing it. By dawn he had taken seven over 20 lb, best 27-odd.

I thought that was pretty remarkable fishing.

Since then, he's caught the monster he was after, too. His dilemma at the moment is where to spend the next two years of his life.

So, yes, I do respect good carp anglers. But I don't envy my mate. He's in his early 30s, single, and so obsessed with carp that life beyond the bankside doesn't really exist in any meaningful way.

All fishing's great. Carp fishing is just part of it. But there's a lot more to life than that, in my opinion.

What do you think?

Fenboy

I'm not anti-carp, nor anti those who want to fish for carp. Yes, I do have a horrible delight in winding 'em up. Afterall, if pike were to bite as fast as carp anglers :D .

It was a good question from Nathan, it was a pity that the humour went out of some of the responses!

[ 15. January 2004, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

i used to do a lot of carping and enjoyed it very much and have been to France as well which is just a fantastic place to fish.

some carpers are very good and can turn their hands to all branches of the sport. we got one ofmy carp mad mates into zander fishing and in two years he has had i think 11 doubles including a 14.11 and 15.05, so there is no doubting their ability. however what does cheese me off and is fairly unique to carp anglers is the total lack of respect that some show for other species.

to give you an example of this i used to fish a lake where the only species in there were carp, the odd bream, pike, perch and truly enormous rudd. the carp anglers used to treat these rudd as vermin yet in the only season i got to fish it before the carpers got it closed i had three rudd of 3.02, 3.06 and 3.08. the prizes i got from mags for these were legion and yet some of these carpers were litterally flinging them back, personally i cant think of a more beautiful fish than a big rudd, certainly there is not a carp that swims that will match them.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

All fishing's great. Carp fishing is just part of it. But there's a lot more to life than that, in my opinion.

What do you think?

Well certainly there is more to life than fishing. Let me see, there is planning where and for what you intend to fish next, making sure your tackle is in good condition and properly packed, the occasional shopping trip to add new gear or at least to see what new things are available, making sure your auto is in good enough condition to get you to the lake and back, snuggling with your sweetie so she won't have a fit when you next go fishing, ......

Fenboy, I hadn't realized until just now but there certainly are a lot of things in life besides fishing. :D:D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Den if the vast amount of crap yobs out there wound their necks in a bit then Im sure that most other anglers wouldnt have a problem with them.The modern day crap yobs elitist attitude gets everyones back up proper carp boys included.If you cant see this Den you must have your eyes closed or must be keeping them closed.I still love carp and carp fishing I just dont like what has happened to it.

The modern carp scene has a lot to answer for.I am sure that an angler of your experience wouldnt condone the bad things that have come about due to this but surely you can see why others are so ****** off with it? There is a lot of difference between Carp anglers and Crap Yobs but sadly there seems to be a lot more Crap Yobs than Carp anglers. :( :mad: :( :mad:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I think I forgot the :D:D:D

Carp are fantastic fun for those fortunate people who have unlimited time to sit on the bank or those that have mobility problems. I have heard carp devotees deliver the formula of 24 hrs per fish, on average. I just do not have that amount of leisure time. To pass the time many of them then need other pursuits, and leave it to the buzzer etc. I really do wish all of them luck and long may they continue. I always enjoy talking to them and I am not below copying any of their tricks.

The incredible market for carp gear shows the disposable income available. I would much rather these individuals spent it on this and not on other less positive pursuits. But there is a rather sadder more money=better fusherman attitude. This leads to especially young uns thinking that they cannot afford to fish. I am very sorry but the total of the tackle in my shed is well below £1000. Even on my carp puddle nearby I am hopelessly outclassed by the tackle. Sigh...

There appears to me to be a large number of carp hunters who have no idea where the fish are and just whack out a boilie. It seems that depth or any other factor do not need to be considered. These are very likeable people and they often have caught fish to fantastic sizes. I see no reason why they should be stopped and it obviously takes them to some fantastic locations. There are also a smaller group who have watercraft skills and use them to find the fish. I am far more interested in talking with these people.

For those who need peace, quiet and inactivity to dissolve the stress of work then carp fishing is ideal. Completely opposite is the frenetic constant casting and twiddling with tackle of the flyfisherman or the lure piker.

As stated I go carp fishing in the close season and I enjoy the change.

Oh yes I really have seen anglers ignore the signs of carp in close proximity to fish the opposite side. All that was needed was to walk round. The pool was zigzagged in lines. But they still caught fish. :D

"Muddlin' along"

Good topic this ain't it ? :D:D

Anti carpers are as easy to wind up as real carpers :D

But one serious note...Budgie you reckon that carp anglers are responsible for many bad practises, which ones?

Leaving unnatended rods on buzzers may not be the best way to fish but when carping it does not kill fish the way that doing the same does with pike.

Not many carpers will "stick out an extra rod for pike" and leave it to fish for itself.

It may also surprise you to know that in the modern carp scene even BIG bream are respected and actually weighed and photographed.

I really am thinking hard to figure just what bad things carpers are responsible for.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic