Surprise catch

Pangolin

Poledark:

quote:

BB's at point blank range................A damned great chunk of wood might have more effect, but then you wouldn't want to hurt the thing would you
I doubt that a heavy oar or 2 x 4 would do much damage, Den. That would probably just increase their anger. I've heard that the head of a decapitated snapper will continue to bite long after it's dead. Fortunately these things don't attack you ala Jaws...

Ken

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fished a little park pool a few years ago to try out my nice new telescopic spinning rod before a trip abroad. Bringing back a little jig, I noticed that I'd cast over two bl00dy enormous carp. As the lure came in, the bigger one followed it, bumped it with her head and then turned off - smartly hooking herself in the root of the tail in the process.

The fish took off at great speed against my screeming clutch and actually propoised along the surface for about 40m on it's first run. I managed to turn her just before she took me behind an island and half an hour latter, with just about everyone that was fishing the pool watching (including the carpies who'd left their pods behind), I pulled her over a landing net which promptly broke under the weight.

Once landed, I had no scales that might even come close to being adequate but it turned out to be a "known" fish. Last caught 3 weeks previously at a little over 29lbs.

Still my biggest freshwater fish but I can't really brag 'cause it was fouled.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Once caught a sheep on an orange dognobbler at the Derwent Reservoir. The sheep was not actually in the water but behind me and managed to snag it on my backcast. What a scrap,it was like having a sheep on the end. It took most of my backing off before the mono snapped

Beat that one chaps

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

many years ago whilst on holiday in sanibel i was fishing a lake behind our rental house for tarpon, i hooked into something and as i was pulling it in( it didnt fight and felt like a dead weight)i could see out of the corner of my eye an alligator going after whatever was on my line. i managed to beat the alligator and bank what was hooked, it was a turtle of some description about a foot across(looked like a giant terrapin). i quit fishing then because the gator was hanging around the end of the landing stage i was fishing from, with his 2 beady eyes just out of the water. :D

them turtles?are they the ones that crazy englishman chases the ginger one/_o'shea?nutter dives off a boat into swampy looking vegatation n surfaces with ones these beasts held aloft!might not be the same one im sure it is tho,altho these ones looked phrehistoric!

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

The turtle I spoke of is the common snapper (Chelydra serpentina)

Posted Image

The alligator snapping turtle (Macroclemys temminckii) is also native to the southeastern region of the United States but since it is more sedentary and prefers to use a pink mouth structure to lure in live prey rather than searching around for dead or dying prey, they aren't often caught on dead baits. Good thing too since the gator one gets lots larger than the common.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

aaah i see thats the one(bottom one) they showed underwater fotage off it using the pnky bit to lure prey in,they where huge these turtle things!

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

severus:

Last fall I caught a lamprey that was attached to an 8 lb steelhead... Viscious sets of razor-sharp teeth in its round mouth. It was a pleasure to sever the dirty bastage in two.

Ken

Hey - all God's fishies gotta make a living.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

GlennB:

quote:

Hey - all God's fishies gotta make a living.
Lampreys are the marine equivalent of bankers, lawyers, realtors....did I miss anyone??? Heh-heh.

--------------------------------------------

Newt, great photo. I didn't realize Alligator snappers grew so large.

Alligator Snappers

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain