World's Strangest Fishing Techniques

John Waldman

HA's story about the hay fork reminded me of a time when I was in Newfoundland on a ship and had gone for a walk and a try at spinning on a small wooden pier near where we were berthed.

I had no luck with the spinning rod but noticed a small group of kids on the rocky beach upto something.

On closer inspection I found that one of them had tied mothers best silver spoon to a string and was tossing it a few yards out then slowly retrieving it. Another kid stood nearby upto his knees in water, with a pitch fork and jabbed it in to the water spearing a good sized flat fish about the size of a meat plate. They had quite a pile of them in only a few minutes. I don't know if mum knew where her spoon was though :D

Cheers

Scapa

[ 10. April 2004, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Scapanapper ]

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back to the wonderful R.Itchen near me beloved 'Safampton' ..... below Woodmill ....

I think I was about 10 - 12 years old .....

spinning rod and home-made 'tea-spoon' from Granny's knife drawer .......

sea-trout and bass kept followin' and takin' the booger .....

I wassn't good enuf to catch any, as far as I remember ....

I recommend the hay-fork method ....

:rolleyes:

John Waldman:

hand grendades were Saddam Hussein's favorite fishing gear.

Hi John. That reminds me of a couple of ponds on a local estate that I fished a few years after WWII.

Unlike most small ponds, they were not full of stunted perch, but only held a few fish of around a pound apiece.

A local youth, best described as a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic, told us that the Canadian soldiers who had been billeted there during the war used to catch lots of fish from these ponds.

"They used angling aids" he said.

After puzzling over this information I realised he was trying to say "hand grenades" - This information also explained the high average size of the few survivors - the pond produced the same invertebrate food supply as other ponds but had fewer fish to share it.

Must dash now, am on holiday in Tasmania and am going fishing for flatheads in the next few minutes.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

The British record grey Mullet is supposed to have been 'jigged' in Portland Harbour.

My dad told me stories of 'darting' for flounders in the Fleet. Floating about quietly in a trough(flat bottomed boat) in shallow water, spotting the fish and spearing them.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Jim Roper:

The British record grey Mullet is supposed to have been 'jigged' in Portland Harbour.

Many years ago a mate of mine accidentaly foul-hooked a 6lb mullet whilst we were fishing for bass off Littlehampton west gantry (fishing was forbidden there -unsafe - so we fished it at night :cool: )

There was a gale blowing, and the fish went downtide - the wind was so strong the drop net wanted to fly like a kite. The fish was almost out of range of our headlights too, so it was not that easy to net.

Netting it was much more difficult than foul-hooking it, but it didn't stop my mate crowing that he had outfished me

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Presumably you've done all the historical stuff with the toggle hooks made from bone or horne in europe and the moarie shell hooks.

There's also the nutters who go out in little boats and ceramonially catch sharks by jiggling coconut shells on the surface (and saying a few prayers) and the beating the buggers to death with an oar.

If you can track it down, there was a wonderful article in the Ausie NAFTA magazine a few years ago about Kayak fishing. Trailing a handine for tuna wasn't that unusual, getting the Kayak muched by a huge tiger shark that thought it was a crazy crawler was - not too sure whether the guy want's to reapeat the exercise though.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

i mentioned this thread to a friend who remembered spending an afternoon up to his chest in a river near Ivybridge in Devon with a lunatic hells angel who had grown up in the area and poaching by a method i have never heard of. this guy had a stout stick a foot or so long with a piano wire attached in the center and a bootlace eyelet on the other end of the wire to form a free sliding noose. he would walk slowly upriver shielding his eyes from the sun with his hand till he found a trout of a decent size holding its position in the stream. he would then slip the noose over the fish's tail and up to its gills then give a strong yank skywards on the stick landing the fish on the bank. i did meet the guy hes talking about once and its true hes a bloody lunatic so i wouldnt put this past him......................

[ 11. April 2004, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: JONNYX ]

As a few grandfather stories have come out I thought I'll add a non pc method for catching carp. He told me that this method would provide a good high protein dinner in the years after WW2.

Take a long length of bamboo pole and split the bottom 24 inches. Pack the cavity with rice and curry spices (he was brought up in India), and loosely bind up. Wade out a short distance into your favourite carp pond and plunge the stuffed end of the bamboo into the muddy bottom, ensuring that a few feet of bamboo could be seen above the surface. Then standby with a handline bristling with large treble hooks and a weight. When the top of the bamboo pole moves as the carp are nosing around, throw the bunch of trebles close to the pole and heave.

Don't try it at Redmire

once saw a tv programme where this guy threaded worms on wool. He had a huge weight tied to the bottom and thumped it of the river bed. Eels got their teeth stuck in the wool as they bit the worms. He was very successful.

weird but it worked.

[ 13. April 2004, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: mmc1uk ]

Caught a mackerel on a lead weight once whilst boat fishing. It was a freshly cast,shiney,spider and the fish got its gob stuck on the metal grips!

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy