Greenpeace

Ian Burrett

Guest jay_con

No Haddock???? I thought the commercial sector were holding up the Haddock fishery as an example of how healthy the North Sea fishery is. Surely what your saying about Haddock just cant be true Big Cod as the sea is supposed to be full of them.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you read it in the fishing news autumn its tottal rubish, i new something was wrong during our july anglng festival when if you went out the the rig jacket which is 18mile off you would normally do very well for haddock in july on a good day 60-80haddock no problem but the boats what went up there came back with maybe just a couple of haddock then i thought very strange this has never happened before but when a trawler is telling yoiu there is/nt any you know the **** has the fan.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest jay_con

No I think you must be wrong. Haddocks are in abundance, the north sea is stuffed with them, You ask wurzel and Jaffa they will tell you.

Guest jay_con

Well by the sounds of it they get that many on this coast that the boats can hardly stay afloat, Record auctions in some ports apparently. There are supposedly that many Haddock in the sea you could walk across thier backs all the way to the fjords of Norway.

Guest johnfranz

Big Cod or your local friends who love to slag of an industry that has traditionally fished what you call your local grounds, for as long as records began.

I ask, have you ever been trawling? Have you ever been out fishing beyond 60 miles?

Have you ever sat with your bank manager and scratched your head worrying where the next codling is going to come from?

Haddocks like most fish have tails; the sea is so large that it covers two thirds of the earth’s surface. Fish come and go in cycles as surly you must know.

The few trawlers that have stuck it out against all the **** that has been thrown there way over the last few years are doing ok today. I say today because there is a bit of feed on the ground i.e. herrings and there spawn, as you recorded big cod some boats did have some big landings this week as they always do this time of year when there’s a bit of feed about to slow the fish down.

If you had ever been trawling then you would know that the only time that you catch any fish in a trawl in bulk is when it is ether full of feed or full of spawn it self.

If you want to ban fishing inside of ten miles then ok let’s do it. But that goes for all fishing.

Don’t start talking about black fish because you will open a nasty tin of worms for yourself.

Have fun fishing and I hope that you are very successful in your business, but don’t slag off an industry that you know nothing about.

The sea is big, there’s room for all.

Beware of green peace they will be coming for you next.

Guest jay_con

binatone:

Don’t start talking about black fish because you will open a nasty tin of worms for yourself.

Elaboration would be helpfull on that point Binatone.

Hi Binatone

I have just spoken to the public relations officer for Greenpeace. She ensures me that Greenpeace and the SACN are after exactly the same thing; promotion of sustainable fishing.

Is your fishing sustainable?

Regards slagging off an Industry we know nothing about. We know there are less fish around every year and if something isn't done there will be nothing left.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Guest johnfranz

Autumn.

You don’t want to go there mate. But neither does a skipper of an angling boat.

Besides the financial side of black fish economy there is the problem of records.

How much fish do anglers take from the sea in lets say a year from Whitby alone?

Can you tell me autmn? Have you any idea at all?

Can you guarantee anyone that not a single percentage of this fish is sold, by the angler or the skipper of the boat it was caught on? Well can you?

Black fish like the black economy is a way of life. We all know it happens it just has to be controlled to an acceptable level.

Guest johnfranz

Hi Ian

I admire Greenpeace for many things they do, but over the past thirty odd years of coming into contact with them I have found that what they say and what they do is not always the same.

Fishing has sustained me and my family for thirty two years thankyou.