Greenpeace

Ian Burrett

Guest NickInTheNorth

binatone, get your head out of the sand, or where ever you have it buried. Commercial fishing has virtually destroyed the cod fishery in the north sea, and on the grand banks.

Why? Pure greed. The Icelandic fishery shows what can be done when a fishery is well managed with sustainability as the major aim.

When will you dinosaurs realise that anglers are not against you, we have the same aim - or should have. A sea full of fish which we can catch for sport, and you can catch commercially. Both are possible, but not whilst the commercial fleet keep pretending that all is well in the sea. The sooner you admit to there being a problem and working for a sustainable future, the sooner your industry can have a long term viable future.

The future for the sea at the moment looks very bleak to me.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

binatone:

thats a good haul of cod.

thats what they try and do each time they fish.

notice the size of the mesh.

notice that there are no small fish amoung the haul.

and all that fish will be acounted for out of the quota that that boat would be given.

That sounds good to me. I am happy with that. I have no problem at all with that line of thinking.

binatone:

notice the size of the mesh.

notice that there are no small fish amoung the haul.

I see small fish and for every one I see there will be many dozens more trapped in there!

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

Binatone said - 'Have you ever sat with your bank manager and scratched your head worrying where the next codling is going to come from?'

And why do you think that is??? Recreational anglers taken their few fish home? Or greedy commercials??????

Scotty

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

quote:

Have you ever sat with your bank manager and scratched your head worrying where the next codling is going to come from?

This is part of the problem.

There clearly are not the stocks in some/most areas to sustain a viable Commercial Fishing Fleet, so why don't they get out of the Industry and do something else ?

The usual cry is that many generations of the same families have been trawlermen etc. etc.

So what, things change, what about coal miners, small corner shops, farm workers and many other areas of employment that have either seriously reduced, or disappeared all together.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Guest jay_con

ColinW:

binatone, that's not a good haul, it's an obscene environmental atrocity. According to the Budding Rose's website, in that net is over 600 40kg boxes of cod. That picture was taken in 2004. Strangely there are no similar pictures for 2005.

If as binatone says that the fish is mostly takable size, and the boat has quota for the fish then there is no problem. THey are within the law and that amount of fish will account for a lot of thier quota so they wont be doing it again for a while. If anyone landing such an amount of fish were outside quota I say throw the book at them.

No picture for 2005 as yet, perhaps they realised the bad press such a picture would bring so never posted another. With the Herring now spawning and the fish coming together in shoals to feed as described by binatone such a picture could be taken from many boats in the north sea and on many occassions over the next month or 2. I bet some of the people reading this could even supply you with such a picture.

NickInTheNorth:

Why? Pure greed. The Icelandic fishery shows what can be done when a fishery is well managed with sustainability as the major aim.

Exactly, couldn't agree more....

B.A.S.S

IPB Image

IPB Image