Most powerful fish?????????

Guest Ferret1959

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

carp are pigs, barbel are the athletics of the Cyprinus world. Any budding freshwater biologist will tell you, even those who have never wet a line. Their body shape is perfect for holding bottom in fast flowing water and their tail and fins are ideal for powering into the current.

On the otherhand a grayling has the sail like fin for super fast direction changes in fast flowing water. Also being a salmonoid they have a higher heart rate - thus needing water with higher oxygen levels.

Mullet are a saltwater fish technically although they are bracish water dwellers. This means they have to deal with strong tidal currents and flows so they need to be able to go like the clappers.

Personally i would say millers thumb! Little buggers :P

Toggle, as Budgie says grayling are counted as coarse fish despite being members of the salmon family. The reason is that, like coarse fish, they spawn in the spring, whereas game fish such as trout spawn in the autumn.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Hi All,

I think that it is mostly down to what you are tackled up for in the first place and what gear you have when any particular fish is hooked.

I also think that location also plays a part, as a barbel in shallower water will fight completely different to one hooked in deep water.

At the end of the day though it has to be barbel for me, as it was a decision that I made many years ago.

..........Liam

"Wisdom is the knowledge of how little we know"

Barbelangler.co.uk